Pages

Friday, July 24, 2026

Homeschool Friday - Mr. Popper's Penguins

Homeschool Friday is a feature here at Somewhere Only We Know that showcases books my family reads during homeschool and provides a mini-review for each.

Mr. Popper's Penguins

By: Richard Atwater & Florence Atwater

Publication: January 1, 1938

69 pages

Genre: Children's, Classics, Fantasy, Animals, Humor, Middle Grade

Source: Personal Library

( Goodreads | Amazon )

*Note: The above link to Amazon is an affiliate link. Affiliate links support giveaways for Somewhere Only We Know readers.

Goodreads description--It was hard enough for Mr. Popper to support himself, Mrs. Popper, Bill and Janie Popper. The addition of twelve penguins to the family made it impossible to make both ends meet. Then Mr. Popper had a splendid idea—the talented penguins would be a sensation on the stage. And so they were....

A classic of American humor, this story of a gentle house-painter and his high-stepping penguins has delighted children for generations.

I've been doing chapter read-alouds with my kids for a few years now, but we finally have a rotational system where we rotate who gets to pick the book I read. We go in age order, and I also get a turn. Mr. Popper's Penguins was actually my pick. I thought it would be a good read-aloud for the Christmas season without being a "Christmas" book, and it was a good choice.

My kids range in age from 10 to 4 (almost 5--at the time of reading this book) so this was a good choice for the three of them. The story wasn't complicated or long. It wasn't too much for them to pay attention. The chapters were short enough that I would read two in one sitting without them even realizing it, and at that pace I was able to read about 10% per night that I read. I read this during our bedtime routine on the nights it was my turn to put the kids to bed. (Husband and I alternate nights.)

Mr. Popper is a painter. And the majority of his work comes during the spring. It seems that he mostly has the winter off work. But sitting around the house with nothing to do can cause him some depression as well as get on Mrs. Popper's nerves. Mr. Popper also loves reading about travelers and explorers. Apparently, he wrote a letter to Admiral Drake who is at the South Pole doing a study and the Admiral sent him a penguin. Of course, as an adult, I know this is ridiculous, but it makes sense to the children.

Mr. Popper is so excited to have a penguin as a pet. Mrs. Popper is surprisingly on board, even when they turn their refridgerator into it's home. I actually found this as refreshing as I did unreasonable. So often, husbands and wives are displayed in literature as being at odds. Mr. & Mrs. Popper were different while not being on opposing sides of their marriage. Their children Bill and Janie also love the penguin.

However, Captain Cook (the penguin) began to get sick overtime. Mr. Popper writes to a couple of people to ask for advice and gets sent a female penguin which does bolster both penguins, but it also results in like 10 babies. Mr. Popper and Mrs. Popper end up entertaining their penguins by creating a show with them. They travel around the country to different theaters to show off their penguins, but by the summer the penguins begin to be unhappy again. I won't tell you how the book ends, but I will say that we enjoyed it.

Mr. Popper's Penguins was just a fun book all around. It wasn't too complicated. The stakes weren't too high. It wasn't filled with too much action. It was just an all-around good classic book that I and my children enjoyed. Mr. Popper's Penguins gets a stable 4 Stars. Have you read Mr. Popper's Penguins? What did you think? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment