Pages

Monday, September 7, 2026

When Calls the Heart - Review

When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, # 1)

By: Janette Oke

Publication: first published 1983

220 pages

Genre: Adult, Historical Fiction, Christian Fiction

Source: Personal Ebook Library

( Goodreads | Amazon | Book Depository )

*Note: The above links to Amazon and Book Depository are affiliate links. Affiliate links support giveaways for Somewhere Only We Know readers.

Goodreads description--Nothing in her cultured East Coast upbringing prepared Elizabeth for a teaching position on the Canadian frontier. Yet, despite the constant hardships, she loves the children in her care. Determined to do the best job she can and fighting to survive the harsh land, Elizabeth is surprised to find her heart softening towards a certain member of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Book 1 of the bestselling Canadian West series.

I remember my mom reading these books when I was little. And you know, it isn't possible that my mom and I would like the same books, right? But of course, I loved the Hallmark TV adaptation of this series. I know they changed a lot. But I've come to love historical fiction, and I got books 1-4 of this series for insanely cheap a while back on Google Books.

I don't remember a ton because I finished this book five months before writing my review of it. So you can imagine that I don't remember the details clearly. I do remember Elizabeth decides to go west, but she doesn't realize that she won't get to pick which town she will be a teacher in. She is assigned to a town that is even smaller and more remote than she imagined. And she isn't in constant contact with her brother like she hoped. She does, however, begin to make an impression on the students and their families, as well as a certain Royal Canadian Mounted Police officer.

I wouldn't say that romance is the majority of the plot for When Calls the Heart, but it was present enough that I didn't feel uninterested, as relationships are my preferred driving force to any story. I do want to continue the series, but I'm not dying to read book 2 immediately.

When Calls the Heart gets 4 Stars. Have you read When Calls the Heart? What did you think? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment