Embrace (Off the Ice, # 4)
By: Bal Khabra
Publication: August 4, 2026 by Berkley
400 pages
Genre: Adult, Romance, Sports
Source: Publisher via NetGalley (Thank you!!)
*Note: The above link to Amazon is an affiliate links. Affiliate links support giveaways for Somewhere Only We Know readers.
Goodreads description--An unexpected spark between a hockey player and the coach’s daughter might cause them to cross the line in the next Dalton University book from international bestselling author Bal Khabra.Kian Ishida is all about parties, hockey, and living in the moment. But when he realizes he’s headed to the NHL without his degree, his late dad’s one wish for him, he’s determined to make up those last few credits. Desperate for help, he joins a study group led by none other than Scarlett Kilner. She’s as gorgeous as she is smart. Too bad he doesn’t know yet that she’s his coach’s daughter.
After making a reputation for herself, all Scarlett wants for her senior year is to prove she’s more than her mistakes and graduate without tarnishing her well-respected father’s name. But when Kian Ishida, one of her dad’s star hockey players, joins her study group, things get complicated.
As Scarlett helps Kian, their study sessions turn into something more—stolen glances, lingering touches, and a connection neither of them expected. Kian has to decide what’s more the dream he’s worked for his whole life or the girl he never saw coming.
I'm coming in on the end of this series. I haven't read any of the previous books, so I have no idea how much of this story or the characters connect to other books beyond the obvious (other couples).
Here's the gist, and probably more information than you need to know up front. Scarlett's parents married when they probably shouldn't have. They weren't in a great place for getting pregnant, but they did anyway. Scarlett grew up witnessing her father being abusive to her mother. And Scarlett's testimony is part of what put her dad in prison. Her mother is now remarried. Her stepfather ended up adopting her. Yet Scarlett remembers good times with her biological father, and she has always wondered if they would be able to have some kind of relationship despite their past. All of this plays into how Scarlett viewed herself in her freshman year of college. And let's just say she had a lot of meaningless hookups and casual sex and developed quite a reputation for herself. She has been trying to rehab her image, but it isn't going so well. It seems that once you undervalued yourself and physical intimacy, it's hard for others to see value in what you didn't value yourself. It's not slut-shaming. It's human nature. Suppose I have a glass teapot that I toss in the air and slam onto the table. Will my friends be gentle with my teapot when they have a chance to use it? Of course not, because I've already shown them the lack of value I place upon it by how I treat it. But I digress.
Kian needs to pass his last class to graduate, which is what his father always wanted for him. Kian begs Scarlett to tutor him; in exchange, he will help her repair her image. At the very least, guys will leave her alone, knowing that they are friends and will have to answer to Kian for mistreating her. Kian has been the happy guy that all his friends and family can both count on and yet don't want to burden. He has his own issues dealing with both the death of his father and his mother having dementia.
I really liked the slow buildup between these two characters. Because of Scarlett's history, they took things slower than a lot of couples would have. And yet when that line was crossed, they went full steam ahead. So if you're looking for low language and physical scenes, this isn't really the book for you. But if it doesn't bother you or you can skip over any of that, I did enjoy the plotline.
Favorite quotes:
-Can a hug alter your brain chemistry?
-"I think you need to meet her where she's at. You don't always need a big declaration, Kian. It just seems like she wants your honesty,"...
-I'm so sick of missing people who are close enough to touch but never to be with.
To be honest, most of what I highlighted were editing errors, which will likely be fixed in the final version since I read an advanced copy. The second most I highlighted were points of contention where I didn't agree with some of Scarlett's life choices or their explaining away the consequences of her choices. I don't think that gives people grounds to disrespect her or treat her like trash, but we show others what we value. Scarlett made some bad choices that she came to regret. Call it like it is.
Another minor pet peeve is Kian's pet name for Scarlett is Scar. She seems to like this a lot yet never comment on how that's what her parents also call her. Yet throughout the book I noticed both her mother and adoptive father call her this. It felt off to me. At least if it had been addressed that Kian called her by her parent's nickname for her then it wouldn't have felt out of place.
Overall, I really enjoyed the storylines of Embrace, and I read it quickly. It took me too long to realize why it was named Embrace, but now I get it. And you better believe I've been implementing some six-second hugs in my life with my family. I don't love the language and physical scenes. That could be left out for my preferences, but I expected it at the same time. Embrace gets 4 Stars. Have you read Embrace? What did you think? Let me know!

No comments:
Post a Comment