Tuesday, July 21, 2015

Top Ten Books That Don't Celebrate Diversity

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Books/Characters That Celebrate Diversity.

Diversity has become a huge topic FOR SOME REASON in the book world. Granted, no one really wants to read the same book over and over again. But this topic seems like it’s getting pushed on us all the time. I’ve always had a rebellious streak in me, and I’ve never enjoyed reading a book that was forced on me. I read what I want to read when I want to read it. Occasionally I’ll find a book that’s outside of my normal reading preferences that I enjoy, but I never just read for the sake of diversity. That’s not how I roll. You can read a more in depth post about why this is for me because Armchair BEA picked Diversity for the theme for 2015.

That being said…I’m picking ten totally awesome books that I enjoyed that have nothing to do with diversity. Yet really can’t you say every book SOMEHOW has something to do with diversity???

  1. Forbidden (Forbidden, # 1) by Kimberley Griffiths Little (review coming soon)
  2. Chasing River (Burying Water, # 3) by KA Tucker
  3. Catching Jordan (Hundred Oaks, # 1) by Miranda Kenneally
  4. That One Summer (Summer, # 3) by CJ Duggan
  5. Red Rising (Red Rising Trilogy, # 1) by Pierce Brown
  6. The Secrets of Attraction by Robin Costantine
  7. Finding Mr. Brightside by Jay Clark
  8. Push (Push, # 1) by Claire Wallis
  9. The 5th Wave (The 5th Wave, # 1) by Rick Yancey
  10. Blood of My Blood (Jasper Dent, # 3) by Barry Lyga

These books have nothing in common. They’re about dessert landscapes, Irish pubs, girls who play football, Australian summers, war games, falling in love, drug addicts, serial killers, aliens, and hunting serial killers. See…all very different. All by different authors. Some male, some female. Some narrated by females, some by males, some by both. I have no idea the nationalities of the authors (nor do I care), but I know of at least 10 or 11 (probably more) different nationalities/races/classes within these books. We cover fantasy, historical fiction, mystery, thriller, contemporary, sports, romance, science fiction, dystopian, and post-apocalyptic. And this is all within the scope of books that I wanted to read just because and not because they’re diverse. These all have characters that I fell in love with because they feel real and come alive off the page…not because they’re different…from me, from each other, from the “norm” (whatever that is). So see…books are diverse by nature. These are ten books that I really enjoyed that don’t celebrate diversity.

What books have you love that have NOTHING to do with diversity? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment