Sunday, February 10, 2013

Sunday Post - 32 & Stacking the Shelves - 5

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ The Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~this meme was inspired in part by ~ In My Mailbox~ It's a chance to share News. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog.

Nothing out of the ordinary has really happened this week. I had a slight sinus infection of the majority of the week, but it seems to be better now. And yesterday was an extremely productive day. I managed to get my house relatively clean. I feel good about it. Now I can blog and read to my hearts content and not feel guilty about it.

THIS PAST WEEK:

Monday: Review of The Power of a Praying Church by Stormie Omartian (3.5 Stars)

Tuesday: Top 10 Best Bookish Memories

Wednesday: Waiting on The Trouble with Flirting

Thursday: Review of The One that Got Away by Kelly Hunter (3.5 Stars) also, I posted my Romance is in the Air Giveaway Hop enter to win 1 of 9 books!

UPCOMING THIS WEEK:

Monday: Review of Love and Other Perishable Items by Laura Buzo

Tuesday: Top 10 Tuesday: Top 10 Best Romances (maybe, I might jump off topic...we'll see)

Wednesday: Waiting on Wednesday

Thursday: Review of Days of Blood and Starlight by Laini Taylor; Romance is in the Air Giveaway Hop ends.

Stacking the Shelves is hosted by Tynga's Reviews.

Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, # 1)

By: RL LaFevers

Published: April 3rd 2012 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt

549 pages

Source: Borrowed from my local library

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?

Hex Hall (Hex Hall, # 1)

By: Rachel Hawkins

Published: March 2nd 2010 by Hyperion Book CH

323 pages

Source: Borrowed from my local library

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--Three years ago, Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch. It's gotten her into a few scrapes. Her non-gifted mother has been as supportive as possible, consulting Sophie's estranged father--an elusive European warlock--only when necessary. But when Sophie attracts too much human attention for a prom-night spell gone horribly wrong, it's her dad who decides her punishment: exile to Hex Hall, an isolated reform school for wayward Prodigium, a.k.a. witches, faeries, and shapeshifters.

By the end of her first day among fellow freak-teens, Sophie has quite a scorecard: three powerful enemies who look like supermodels, a futile crush on a gorgeous warlock, a creepy tagalong ghost, and a new roommate who happens to be the most hated person and only vampire student on campus. Worse, Sophie soon learns that a mysterious predator has been attacking students, and her only friend is the number-one suspect.

As a series of blood-curdling mysteries starts to converge, Sophie prepares for the biggest threat of all: an ancient secret society determined to destroy all Prodigium, especially her.

Unearthly (Unearthly, # 1)

By: Cynthia Hand

Published: January 4th 2011 by HarperTeen (first published January 1st 2011)

435 pages

Source: Borrowed from my local library

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .

Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.

Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.

As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?

Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.

The Coincidence of Callie and Kayden (The Coincidence, # 1)

By: Jessica Sorensen

Published: December 13th 2012

296 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library ($0.99 on Amazon right now)

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--There are those who don’t get luck handed to them on a shiny platter, who end up in the wrong place at the wrong time, who don’t get saved.

Luck was not on Callie’s side the day of her twelfth birthday when everything was stolen from her. After it’s all over, she locks up her feelings and vows never to tell anyone what happened. Six years later her painful past consumes her life and most days it’s a struggle just to breathe.

For as long as Kayden can remember, suffering in silence was the only way to survive life. As long as he did what he was told, everything was okay. One night, after making a terrible mistake, it seems like his life might be over. Luck was on his side, though, when Callie coincidentally is in the right place at the right time and saves him.

Now he can’t stop thinking about the girl he saw at school, but never really knew. When he ends up at the same college as Callie, he does everything he can to try to get to know her. But Callie is reserved and closed off. The more he tries to be part of her life, the more he realizes Callie might need to be saved.

Rule (Rule, # 1)

By: Jay Crownover

Published: December 30th 2012

327 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library (Currently $1.99 on Amazon)

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--I had loved Rule Archer since the first moment I ever laid eyes on him. He was everything I shouldn't want and the only person I went out of my way to not try and please. He only saw me as a brat, and an entitled, stuck up princess but worse than that all he saw when he looked at me was his deceased twin's girl. It broke my heart because as much as I had loved Remy Archer there was never anything romantic between us and no matter how hard I tried to convince myself that loving Rule was a terrible idea, my poor heart just wouldn't listen. We tolerated each other, barely and had forged an uneasy alliance until one night I had too much to drink and changed the way we were forever. Suddenly life long secrets were no longer hidden and the one thing I always wanted for myself seemed obtainable as long as I was willing to go through hell to hold onto it.

Shaw Landon was a class act and I had no idea what to do with her. She was tied to my family, tied to the person that was my other half so I tolerated her and her haughty attitude when I didn't have any other choice. What I didn't know was that a short skirt and too many cocktails on her birthday was going to change my outlook on her for the rest of my life. Some people thought I hid behind all my tattoos and piercings, that I tried to distance myself from my dead twin, Shaw saw through it all and wasn't scared of what was underneath. We weren't supposed to be together, weren't supposed to be anything but uncomfortable acquaintances but that all changed in the blink of an eye. Now I had to figure out just how a girl like her and a guy like me were supposed to be in love without destroying each other. Add in her custom made ex and two disapproving sets of parents and the whole situation sounded like it was more trouble then it was worth.

Recommended for mature readers due to sexual content, language and drinking

The Secret of Ella and Micha (The Secret, # 1)

By: Jessica Sorensen

Published: October 4th 2012 (first published October 2nd 2012)

316 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library (Currently $0.99 on Amazon)

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--Ella and Micha have been best friends since they were kids. But one tragic night shatters their friendship and their lives forever.

Ella used to be a rule-breaker with fiery attitude who wore her heart on her sleeve. But she left everything behind when she went to college and transformed into someone that follows the rules, keeps everything together, and hides all her problems. But now it's summer break and she has nowhere else to go but home.

Ella fears everything she worked so hard to bury might resurface, especially with Micha living right next door. If Micha tries to tempt the old her back, she knows that it will be hard to resist.

Micha is sexy, smart, confident, and can get under Ella’s skin like no one else can. He knows everything about her, including her darkest secrets. And he’s determined to bring his best friend, and the girl he loves back, no matter what it takes.

(New Adult Contemporary)

*Mature Content** Recommended for ages 17+ due to sexual situations and language.

That's it for my shelves and recaps of my past and upcoming week. What did you add to your shelves this week? Any bookish news you want to talk about? Let me know!

6 comments:

  1. Nice selection. I really loved Grave Mercy. I hope you do too. My new book posts are at Ms. Martin Teaches Media (YA) and Inside of a Dog (Adult). Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a nice haul! I loved Hex Hall and I'm looking forward to reading Grave Mercy.

    My Sunday Post

    Pls consider listing your blog on YA Blogosphere it's a directory listing for YA-related blogs. Pls email me on yablogopshere@gmail.com if your interested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed Hex Hall and hope you do too.
    Happy reading,
    Brandi @ Blkosiner’s Book Blog

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah..i love Sorensen and Grave Mercy was my #1 YA favorite read of 2012!
    Enjoy your new lovelies i cannot wait to hear what you think! The Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice haul. I loved Grave Mercy and am so excited for the sequel. Hope you enjoy your haul.

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's Sunday
    Post


    ReplyDelete
  6. Hex Hall and Unearthly are amazing!! They are both a part of my favourite series ah I hope you enjoy them!

    My Book Haul

    ReplyDelete