Friday, December 19, 2014

Series DNF # 3

Alright guys…it’s time for another Series DNF post. I’m learning to lighten my TBR load by culling through the books in which I’m no-longer interested. While I still love to complete things (series included), there’s just not enough time in my life to read all the books that I want. And I’m purging the ones from my TBR list that I’m no longer interested in. These posts aren’t designed to put these books down at all. I’m sure these books have been wins for some readers, but I just haven’t connected. I don’t feel like I can fully let these books go until I do some kind of post about them. So here we are:

Confessions by Louise Rozette – I really enjoyed Confessions of an Angry Girl, but Confessions of an Almost Girlfriend brought out a rant from me and thus I have no intention of continuing this series. From what I’ve briefly seen, the author wasn’t always sure that book 3 would be published, but now that the green-light has been given for it, I figured I’m good to go to put this on my official Series DNF List.

The Bet by Rachel Van Dyken – Again…The Bet was okay. It was pretty cliché, but I stuck with it. When I read The Wager though… Yeah, that was the first review I remember doing a numbered list of all the reasons why I was annoyed. Don’t plan to continue this series.

Pretty When She Dies by Rhiannon Frater – Unless someone tells me that the rest of this series blows Pretty When She Dies out of the water, I don’t plan to continue it. It wasn’t awful. But I got bogged down in the middle and find that I don’t really care much to continue with it.

The Syrena Legacy by Anna Banks – I keep trying mermaid books, but I haven’t had much luck with them. I could tell that I enjoyed Of Poseidon as much as I did because I was listening to the audiobook and not wasting using valuable reading time to get through this book. But Of Triton didn’t really offer me anything additional to get excited about. And so why continue?

Matched by Ally Condie – I always intended to finish this series, but people say that Reached is the least likeable book in the series. While I enjoyed Matched, I felt like it was too similar to Delirium only Delirium was better. Crossed was okay, but I could already see the series going downhill. The more time that separates me from the previous two books, the less I find that I care to know what happens.

The following are all books that I enjoyed the first book in the series fairly well, but like I just said about Reached, the more time that goes by from when I last picked up this series the less I find myself interested to see how they progress.

A Shade of Vampire by Bella Forrest

The Glimpse by Claire Merle

The Chronicles of Nick by Sherrilyn Kenyon (read Infinity and Invincible)

The Blackcoat Rebellion by Aimee Carter (Pawn)

Unearthly by Cynthia Hand (Unearthly)

The Styclar Saga by Nikki Kelly (Lailah)

Also, this isn’t a part of a series, but since I’m DNFing…The Trial of Fallen Angels by James P Kimmel. Basically, this book was very slow for me. I couldn’t get hooked into it. The flashbacks were entirely too long. Plus even after 100 pages in, the main character still didn't know where she was or what was needed from her. It wasn’t what I was expecting it to be at all. I put this book down almost two years ago and haven’t even had an inclination to pick it back up. I think it’s way past time that I officially DNF it.

What do you guys think? Are there any books here that you would really suggest I push through? Do you guys like these kinds of posts? Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I haven't read a lot of books from this list, but I am with you on the same boat with matched. I enjoyed matched, thought Crossed was disapointing and I still don't know whether I want to read the third book.
    I would recommend pushing throguh with Unearthly as I loved that series even though I don't like angels in general, but then again i don't know what it was you didn't like about this series, so maybe it's just not for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The only series on here that I own is Rhiannon Frater books, but I'm use to her style so I think I'll like those. Her pacing does slow down in her more gothic novels, which I think is deliberate. I want to try Of Poseidon so badly, but like you I keep having problems with Mermaid books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really enjoyed Reached. And I really loved Hallowed and Boundless. I am going to be reading Captive in a couple of weeks and am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete