A Christmas for Mrs. Dickens
By: Rebecca Connolly
Publication: September 23, 2025 by Shadow Mountain Publishing
176 pages
Genre: Adult, Historical Fiction, Christmas, Retelling
Source: Publisher via NetGalley (Thank you!!)
*Note: The above link to Amazon is an affiliate links. Affiliate links support giveaways for Somewhere Only We Know readers.
Goodreads description--Catherine Dickens, wife of Charles Dickens, experiences her own Christmas Eve transformation as she magically travels through her cherished memories to rediscover her lost love of Christmas.By 1851, all of London has fallen in love with A Christmas Carol, heralding Charles Dickens as “the man who invented Christmas.” But for his wife, Catherine, Christmas is less of a reason for celebration and more of a burden. Between hosting lavish parties, decorating her home, and caring for her eight children—with one more on the way—she feels more like Scrooge than herself this year.
But everything changes after a chance encounter with a kitchen cook, who reminds her that Christmas can be a time of miracles and magic, if she is willing to open her heart.
Armed with a magical sprig of holly, Kate embarks on three transformative journeys into her past, hoping to reconnect with the love she once felt for the holiday—and with herself. But can these memories be enough to reignite her Christmas spirit? Or are such miraculous transformations only meant for the characters in her husband’s beloved tales?
Inspired by real individuals, A Carol for Mrs. Dickens reminds us that the true spirit of the holiday lies in love, faith, and the joy of giving.
I knew I was going a little out of my comfort zone with requesting A Carol for Mrs. Dickens. This is a retelling of Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol. And I have found that some stories don't lend themselves to retellings as much as others. Cinderella has been done a million times, for example. But I find that I almost always dislike retellings based on Cinderella. And I guess A Christmas Carol falls into one that I don't think I'll ever love any retellings of.
Kate is Charles's wife. She is familiar with his love for Christmas, and his love has created traditions for their family. She's also very familiar with his popular book, A Christmas Carol. But Kate is feeling worn down. She's pregnant and, not long ago, actually lost a baby. So she's feeling fear over the upcoming birth. Her Christmas spirit has dimmed a bit. During this Christmas party she and Charles are hosting, Kate is visited by several of her own ghosts with memories that bring her full circle.
The story itself was sweet. But as I said, this is outside of my usual reading preferences. Kate and Charles have a good relationship, but there's nothing quite so spurring and interesting for me to read as new romance. A Carol for Mrs. Dickens felt honoring to the original, but it was hard for me to read long stretches at a time without falling asleep. At one point, I put it down for months before finally returning to finish it.
Favorite quotes:
-"“Life exhausts,” came the kind, soft rebuke. “It is the nature of being alive. It is our mortal experience. Would you resent the love, laughter, and warmth in your life because it also comes with fatigue, loss, and irritation? We take the good with the bad, Kate. And there is always good.”
-“We will gather our friends and our family, especially our children, and celebrate with love and gratitude for all that we have, even when times are troubling.”
-That joy and desire to celebrate in a time of year when hope and light and love were needed most.
-This was Christmas. This simple, poignant beauty, so understated and underappreciated, that captivated the heart and mind in ways that could not be denied and could barely be expressed.
-All was not perfect, but all would be well. And that was enough.
A Carol for Mrs. Dickens didn't blow me away, but I'm probably not the best reader for this book as it is outside of my normal reading preferences. Or at least outside of the books I favor the most. I found the retelling to be in line with the original. It's a great way to focus on what is important during Christmas or any time of year, but it wasn't very different from the original, making me wonder if it is necessary. Either way, A Carol for Mrs. Dickens gets 3 Stars. Have you read A Carol for Mrs. Dickens? What did you think? Let me know!

No comments:
Post a Comment