Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Things I'm Thankful For.
I don't normally blog about things non-book related aside from a paragraph a week in my Sunday Post, but while I'm thankful for books, that's just not ALL my life is about. So please pardon me while I take this time to show my appreciation for non-book related things. You'll be able to see that most of the "numbers" for my list below are people, because that's what I think is most important in this life.
- 1) Always first and foremost is my Savior dying on the cross to pay the price for my sins. Romans 6:23 says "For the wages of sin is death..." and Hebrews 9:22 says "...without the shedding of blood there is no forgiveness." Jesus shed His blood and gave His life so that I don't have to spend eternity apart from Him. I didn't deserve it. I don't deserve it. I can't earn it. But boy am I thankful for it--for Him, and for God's plan.
- 2) In line with that, I'm thankful for the Bible because without it, I wouldn't even know that salvation is available to me.
- 3) I'm thankful for Husband. He isn't perfect, but neither am I. God brought us together to help each other make it from Earth to Heaven. Russ counterbalances me in every way. Where I am logical, he is feeling. Where I assume, he questions. Where I plan and set goals, he is laid back, goes with the flow, and forces me to be spontaneous. He is everything I'm not, and I can't think of anyone who would be better suited to be my partner for the next 60 years.
- 4) I'm thankful for my parents. They raised me to believe in God and that alone is worthy of praise and thanksgiving. But they're just generally great people. My dad is the social butterfly. He's literally the opposite of me in every way just about. Where were haven't always had the closest relationship because we're so different, we've gotten a lot closer over the years, and I'm coming to value him more and more with each day that goes by. I think I've taken my mom for granted over the years. She's not a lot of fuss. It doesn't take much to keep her happy. And because of this, sometimes she fades into the background. But she's always been there. She's been so many things throughout my life, from mother, teacher, and friend. The older I get, the more I appreciate everything she's done for me. And I'm sure that's going to keep growing once I'm a mother as well.
- 5) My siblings. My brother and I are so much alike. It's crazy. But he's wise and has been such a good influence for me over the years. I really appreciate his leadership and guidance. My sister has been my partner in crime and this may be obvious, but one of my most constant friends. I'm so thankful that she lives closer again.
- 6) My in-laws. Holly has become as much of a sister as if she was born into our family. I couldn't have asked for better in-laws on Russ's side. They've really been great and I know we haven't even touched the surface of our relationship together. When a snake somehow made it into my tub and Russ was at a business conference, I didn't have to ask twice before they came to my rescue. And Tonya and family just don't live close enough.
- 7) Nieces and nephews. Jessie, Caleb, Austin, Ethan, and Ashlyn (listed by birth order). I love them each and wish I could spend more time with them. I've really enjoyed seeing them grow into their own with each passing year. I can't wait to see the young adults they are going to become.
- 8) My closest friends. In order of how long I've known them, Jennifer, Lacy, Kay, Paula, Amanda, Arin, Kim. These are all ladies who have taught me so much. They're people who want to grow which I so appreciate and try to surround myself with. I know these are the people who have my back no matter what, and I hope they feel the same.
- 9) This probably shouldn't be number 9 on my list, but you know how that goes. My spiritual family. That's another great thing about Jesus. He brings together people from all different backgrounds into one giant family. I have spiritual family all over the world. People who all have the essentials in common. And more times than not, these people have lifted me up when I've been down. I couldn't be surrounded with better extended family.
- 10) All other extended friends and family. If I named them all by relationship and individual name, I'd be here for ages because I'm surrounded by so many great and wonderful people.
- 11) In keeping with my "people" thing, I'll lump all people book related in this one. Authors, publishers, bloggers, readers of my blog, and readers all around. This hobby wouldn't be the same without all of the wonderful people involved in this community. Authors who have these magnificent ideas and understanding about human nature. Publishers who polish the ideas and bring them to the masses. Bloggers who share the same love that I have. And readers as well who make sharing books so special. Love and thanks to you all.
What are you most thankful for?