Monday, January 2, 2023

2022 EOY Wrap Up

At the end of every year and the beginning of the next, I go into contemplative mode. I think about the past year. What happened? What changed in my life? What were the big things that I accomplished? What did I spend my time doing or thinking about? And then I think about the upcoming one as well. What do I want to see happen? What do I want to change in my life? What big things do I want to accomplish? What do I want to spend my time doing and thinking about? What things about last year do I really want to see change in the upcoming one?

We started 2022 off still living with my parents. I believe it was somewhere around January 2nd that we officially fired our remodeling contractors. My Dad used to work for my uncle who owned his own contracting business, and once he retired in February, he officially took over the process of finishing our project so that we could move back home. Husband and my dad worked ridiculous hours, and I began using every free moment I had to paint and help clean and do whatever I could. The big kids played spring ball (t-ball and softball) for the first time. We moved back home in April with so much unfinshed but at least we had bedrooms, bathrooms, and a mostly functional kitchen. Life was simultaneously easier with being on the road less often and more difficult with trying to keep the kids entertained and away from construction projects while also using our every free moment to make progress. The summer came. Little Girl finished her Kindergarten year in school, and I wanted to focus on some play dates with the kids. We went to a local splash pad for the first time and then went another time or two in the summer. We had two playdates at our home. I wanted to do more, but construction wasn't where I wanted it to be to feel comfortable inviting people over. Little Girl had her first lemonade stand. We served our elderly next door neighbor by visiting more frequently and various other little tasks. We also had the opportunity to serve my mother-in-law when she broke her arm in July. We battled some black algea in our pool almost all summer, but it was so rewarding to be home and able to swim. We spent nearly every day of the summer in the pool. The kids picked up where they left off with swimming like fish, and even Baby Boy was jumping into the pool before the end of the summer. School started back with Little Girl in First Grade, and Little Boy started Pre-K4. I was anxious for fall this year and so excited to do all of our traditions. We had a wonderful fall with visiting family for various birthdays. We went to the school's Harvest Festival. We did the pumpkin patch and went to a church Halloween party. Baby Boy battled a series of 4 ear infections from September through November and it seemed he pretty much stayed sick during this time. I decided to be very intentional in November with a specific focus on Thanksgiving and daily gratitude. We also added in a few service projects like filling a local food pantry (almost set up like a Little Free Library). We continued to serve our next door neighbor and Grammy (although she was mostly recovered from her shoulder break at this point). December brought all of the wonderful Christmas traditions. The kids shopped for each other. We saw Santa. We decorated gingerbread houses and made cookies for Santa. We went to Anniston for our annual family reunion and celebrated with family all around. We also adopted a nursing home resident to provide Christmas for this year. So often we hear about doing similar things for underpriveledged children, but there are many, many nursing home residents that are also all alone at Christmas and throughout the year.

On a personal note, 2022 was a much better year for me than 2021. I am happy with where we are. I'm seeing just how fast the time goes now that Little Girl is 7, Little Boy is 5, and Baby Boy is turning 2 this month. I want to soak up these days while the children are still young and the world is magical. I feel like Little Girl is already losing a little of the sense of wonder that the world holds. I just don't want to miss these days. I don't really have any set goals for 2023 as I have set goals in past years. I am considering making some big changes in our lives and family, and I just want to see how these things work out rather than try to force them. I am continueing to work on myself in the areas of calmness. I am trying to teach my children some basic skills and work on building up our family bonds.

As for reading and blogging, I'm still doing the best I can. I did a little better meeting my goals this year than last year. With my older children, the older they've gotten the more my reading time seemed to grow until I started over with the baby stage with the next child. I don't know how much, if any, my reading time will grow in 2023 considering the potential changes to our lives I'm considering. I'll of course reveal more information when the decisions are actually made. I'm not intentionally being vague, I just don't like going back on what I've said I was going to do. So I prefer not to say until the decision is 100% made. Being back home has helped us get back into a normal routine, but I've learned that with kids routines are always changing. Thankfully, our office is now set up to where I have a space I can go to get on my computer that serves me better than what I've had over the last two years. 2021 taught me to give myself grace when it comes to my reading and blogging life. 2022 was a little easier, but I still needed some allowances to remember that reading and blogging aren't what's most important in my life during this season. I'm reading when I get a chance and reviewing everything I can. I only DNF'd two books in 2022 because I'm doing a better job requesting books that are a better fit for me. Once again audiobooks weren't really in the cards for me this year. Compared to 2021, I was in the car significantly less and I can't usually tune the world out for any signifcant amount of time. Even time I spend cleaning house, I need to have an ear out for the kids. I hope to up my reading in 2023, but like last year I don't really expect it so I'll keep my Goodreads goal the same and anything extra I may read will just be bonus.

EOM Wrap Up Posts for 2022

January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November ****
December

Blogging Highlights from 2022

  • Holly and I successfully hosted the 2022 Series Enders Reading Challenge. This was our eighth year. We are returning for 2023 also.
  • I celebrated my 11th Blogoversary with 4 weeks of giveaways (Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, & Week 4).
  • October was my 10th annual All Things Halloween event of Halloween-ish book reviews and such, but I nearly missed it this year.
  • I didn't review any movies this year.
  • I listened to 1.5 audiobooks.
  • I didn't re-read any books this year.
  • I completed my Goodreads books read challenge with 53 out of 52 books read (not including children's books).
  • I completed my Bible-in-a-year reading plan for the 11th year in a row.
  • I missed my Series Enders goal of 5-10 books with only 4 series enders read for the second year in a row.
  • Books Read in 2022

    *These qualify for the 2022 Series Enders Reading Challenge.
    Dating Dr. Dil (If Shakespeare Was an Auntie, # 1) by Nisha Sharma
    The Companion (Sisters of Woodside Mysteries, # 3) by Mary Kingswood (I have no idea what happened to my review for this book. I can't find it anywhere.)
    Gilded (Gilded Duology, # 1) by Marissa Meyer
    Meet Me in the Margins by Melissa Ferguson
    The Heart's Charge (Hanger's Horsemen, # 2) by Karen Witemeyer
    *The Singles Table (Marriage Game, # 3) by Sara Desai
    A Brush with Love (A Brush With Love, # 1) by Mazey Eddings
    My Sister's Big Fat Indian Wedding by Sajni Patel
    Bargaining for the Barrister by Anneka Walker
    *Enchanting the Heiress (Hearts on the Heath, # 3) by Kristi Ann Hunter
    Raising Grateful Kids in an Entitled World: How One Family Learned That Saying No Can Lead to Life's Biggest Yes by Kristen Welch
    Always Jane by Jenn Bennett
    Meet Me in the Middle by Alex Light
    This Woven Kingdom (This Woven Kingdom, # 1) by Tahereh Mafi
    Never Rescue a Rogue (The Merriwell Sisters, # 2) by Virginia Heath
    An Unfamiliar Duke (Georgian Gentlemen, # 4) by Sian Ann Bessey
    Edward and Amelia by Karen Thornell
    A Healer's Promise (Brides of Laurent, # 2) by Misty M Beller
    Discovering Grace (Inglewood, # 2) by Sally Britton
    To Tame a Cowboy (Colorado Cowboy, # 3) by Jody Hedlund
    The Dreaming Beauty by Anneka Walker
    Junie B Jones and Her Big Fat Mouth (Junie B Jones, # 3) by Barbara Park
    Saving Miss Everly (Inglewood, # 3) by Sally Britton
    FLIP The Gratitude Switch: A Simple Formula To Change The Trajectory Of Your Life by Kevin Clayson
    A Tenuous Betrothal by Jen Geigle Johnson
    From the Jump by Lacie Waldon
    A Fate of Wrath & Flame (Fate & Flame, # 1) by KA Tucker
    A Curse of Blood & Stone (Fate & Flame, # 2) by KA Tucker
    Engaging Sir Isaac (Inglewood, # 4) by Sally Britton
    Amelia Bedelia Means Business(Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books, # 1) by Herman Parish
    The Belle of Belgrave Square (Belles of London, # 2) by Mimi Matthews
    by Jentry Flint (review coming soon)
    Amelia Bedelia Unleashed (Amelia Bedelia Chapter Books, # 2) by Herman Parish
    Sword of Rage (Reigning Kingdoms, # 1) by Jennifer Anne Davis
    The Boxcar Children (The Boxcar Children, # 1) by Gertrude Chandler Warner
    Miss Newbury's List by Megan Walker
    *A Daughter's Courage (Brides of Laurent, # 3) by Misty M Beller
    I Am: 40 Reasons to Trust God by Diane Stortz (Review Coming Soon)
    *In Honor's Defense (Hanger's Horsemen, # 3) by Karen Witemeyer
    Reminders of Him by Colleen Hoover
    *Reforming Lord Niel (Inglewood, # 5) by Sally Britton (review coming soon)
    Forgiving What You Can't Forget: Discover How to Move On, Make Peace with Painful Memories, and Create a Life That's Beautiful Again by Lysa TerKeurst (review coming soon)
    Defender of Walls (Kingdom of Walls, # 1) by Tanya Bird
    Book Lovers by Emily Henry (review coming soon)
    The War of Two Queens (Blood and Ash, # 4) by Jennifer L Armentrout (review coming All Things Halloween 2023)
    The Second Blind Son (Chronicles of Saylok, # 2) by Amy Harmon
    Crossed Lines (Love Along the Wires, # 2) by Jennifer Delamere
    *Holding the Line (Love Along the Wires, # 3) by Jennifer Delamere
    Breath as Prayer: Calm Your Anxiety, Focus Your Mind, and Renew Your Soul by Jennifer Tucker
    A Hard Day for a Hangover (Sunshine Vicram, # 3) by Darynda Jones (review coming soon)
    A Heart Worth Stealing by Joanna Barker (review coming May 2023)
    The Reluctant Baronet by Elizabeth W Walker (review coming March 2023)
    Famous for a Living by Melissa Ferguson (review coming May 2023)
    Gentleman Jim (Somerset Stories, # 2) by Mimi Matthews (review coming soon)

    Books DNF'D


    The Decoy Girlfriend by Lillie Vale (DNF @ 15%)
    The Bone Crown (Charassi's Fae Queen, # 1) by Ava Richardson (DNF @ 20%)

    How was your 2022? Are you exciting about moving on to 2023? Let me know!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment