Sunday, December 9, 2012

In My Mailbox - 32 & Sunday Post - 23

In My Mailbox is a weekly post hosted by Kristi at The Story Siren where bloggers can discuss the books we got in the mail this week.

The Sea of Tranquility

By: Katja Millay

Published: November 13th 2012 by Atria Books (first published September 5th 2012)

Source: Publisher via NetGalley (Thank you Atria Books!)

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--I live in a world without magic or miracles. A place where there are no clairvoyants or shapeshifters, no angels or superhuman boys to save you. A place where people die and music disintegrates and things suck. I am pressed so hard against the earth by the weight of reality that some days I wonder how I am still able to lift my feet to walk.

Former piano prodigy Nastya Kashnikov wants two things: to get through high school without anyone learning about her past and to make the boy who took everything from her—her identity, her spirit, her will to live—pay.

Josh Bennett’s story is no secret: every person he loves has been taken from his life until, at seventeen years old, there is no one left. Now all he wants is be left alone and people allow it because when your name is synonymous with death, everyone tends to give you your space.

Everyone except Nastya, the mysterious new girl at school who starts showing up and won’t go away until she’s insinuated herself into every aspect of his life. But the more he gets to know her, the more of an enigma she becomes. As their relationship intensifies and the unanswered questions begin to pile up, he starts to wonder if he will ever learn the secrets she’s been hiding—or if he even wants to.

The Sea of Tranquility is a rich, intense, and brilliantly imagined story about a lonely boy, an emotionally fragile girl, and the miracle of second chances.

The Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted by Kimba @ The Caffeinated Book Reviewer ~this meme was inspired in part by ~ In My Mailbox~ It's a chance to share News. A post to recap the past week, showcase books and things we have received and share news about what is coming up for the week on our blog.

Because I already participate in the In My Mailbox meme (above), I'm just going to use this one as way to recap my week.

I don't typically post too much about my actual life, but this past week has been extremely busy. I had a Pinterest party at my house last Saturday. For those who might not be aware, our idea of a Pinterest party consists of the host for the event picking out one or two Pinterest crafts and purchasing the supplies for everyone (everyone pays the host back for their part), and each person brings a dish from a recipe they have pinned from Pinterest. It's a great way to get to all of those craft and recipe pins that you might never get to otherwise. Anyway, the party was loads of fun and my house has never been cleaner.

Then Thursday night I had another women's Christmas party to go to. The ladies who host this party go all out every year and I'm really blessed to be surrounded by so many wonderful women. And yesterday, we went to a family reunion where we ate tons of food and played Dirty Santa Ornament Swap Edition.

I love this time of year. All of the happy decorations and great (but hugely fattening) food. Plus giving, celebrating family, and focusing on our Savior. I hope everyone else has had as good of a kick off to the holiday season as I have.

THIS PAST WEEK:

Monday: Review of God, Girls, and Guys by Robin Marsh and Lauren Nelson (4 Stars) and a random post on DNFing. I'm still looking for some input from everyone on how they handle DNFing. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Tuesday: Top 10 Books I Wouldn't Mind Santa Bringing Me

Wednesday: Waiting on Dare You To

Thursday: Review of The New Kid by Temple Matthews (3.5 Stars)

UPCOMING THIS WEEK:

Monday: Review of Rockoholic by C.J. Skuse

Tuesday: Top 10 Favorite New-To-Me Authors I Read in 2012

Wednesday: Waiting on Wednesday

Thursday: Review of Back to You by Priscilla Glenn

Saturday: December New Releases Giveaway Hop (Goes from Dec 15th through Dec 31st) hosted by Book Twirps and Refracted Light Reviews. Be sure to come back to enter to win a new release from December!

That's it for my mailbox and recaps of my past and upcoming week. What did you get in your mailbox this week? Any bookish news you want to talk about? Let me know!

22 comments:

  1. The Sea of Tranquility is one I keep seeing around, though it's too early for many reviews to be out yet. Honestly, I can't take it seriously because of the spilled ice cream silhouette on the cover. ;)

    Thanks for stopping by my Weekly Wrap Up Post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen this one before. Hope you enjoy it. Happy reading... Thanks for stopping by...

    Jenea @ Books Live Forever's The Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think I've seen anything about The Sea of Tranquility before. It looks intriguing.

    And PINTEREST FTW! I'm so addicted to that site. I use it mostly for teaching ideas, since I teach preschool and it has so many great lesson ideas on there.


    Mind checking out my IMM?

    -Danie
    www.booktacularworld.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got "The Sea of Tranquility" last month! It looks really good! :)

    Great Haul and Happy Reading! :)

    Here's my IMM:
    http://romancebookie.blogspot.com/2012/12/imm-13.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am a new follower via GFC :) I have heard great things about the Sea of Tranquility!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've crossed paths with The Sea of Tranquility but never really read the summary. *whoops* It seems really interesting though ^_^
    Thanks for stopping by and commenting on Bookwyrming Thoughts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the cover for Sea of Tranquility. Gotta love the holiday season with all the events and parties, and a pinterest party sounds like a lot of fun.... Have a great week, Book Savvy Babe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Look forward to seeing some reviews of The Sea of Tranquility! I've been seeing it about a lot! Enjoy!
    Thanks for stopping by my Added to the Bookshelf post!

    ♥ Melissa @ Melissa's Eclectic Bookshelf

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been debating if I wanted to read The Sea of Tranquility. Hope you enjoy it (:
    I love holiday food, it's really a good excuse to indulge in a lot of baking haha!

    This is my IMM at Bookmunchies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great week. i really like the cover for Seas of Tranquility.
    My Bookish Recap

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can't wait to see what you think of The Sea of Tranquility. I have had it on my radar for awhile. Isn't the cover amazing?
    It sounds like you are enjoying your friends. I love the idea of a Pinterest party.
    New follower. Thanks for stopping by my SP and for following. I look forward to getting to know you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow I love the Pinterest party idea and I bet the dirty ornament party was a blast! Thanks for sharing your week with us! I am hoping the Sea of Tranquility is good!The Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking forward to your Tuesday post ~ Top 10 Favorite New-To-Me Authors I Read in 2012.

    New Follower

    Heather ~ My Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pinterest party -- sounds so fun!
    Hope you have a great week and thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow it seems like you've had a great time this past week! I love the idea of having a Pinterest party and I'm really curious about the dirty Santa ornament part, lol. I hope you have a great week this week as well Sandy and thank you for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely collection. Lucky you :) .

    P.S. New follower :) ...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for stopping by my IMM! I saw Sea of Tranquility around, sounds intriguing! Enjoy =)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Pinterest party - what a great idea! And Dirty Santa... sounds fun too XD

    I LOVED The Sea of Tranquility! I hope you do too :)
    Thanks for stopping by & Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have The Sea of Tranquility from Netgalley, too. I have heard nothing but amazing things about it. I just started reading a holiday book, but after that I hope to read this one. I'm expecting pretty amazing things!

    Happy reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I heard great things about Sea Of Tranquility altough I did not read it yet. I hope you enjoy it!
    Thanks for stopping by my blog!
    Dragana @ Bookworm Dreams
    My book haul...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oooh I've never heard of the Sea of Tranquility! I'll have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This is actually the first time I actually read the synopsis of this book. I'm pretty intrigued by both the synopsis and the cover. I love how it looks like two faces but it is actually melted ice cream. :)

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopianv

    ReplyDelete