Thursday, January 10, 2013

Hopeless - Review

Hopeless

By: Colleen Hoover

Published: December 2012

391 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…

That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.

Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.

I couldn't say 100%, but I'm pretty sure that Colleen Hoover must have read The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay not too long before writing (or perhaps while writing) Hopeless. Read Hopeless, you'll see what I mean. It's not a bad thing though.

Hopeless was everything that I dreamed it would be once I heard Colleen Hoover say she was releasing another book but one more dark in nature. I'm not sure I can compare Hopeless to Slammed/Point of Retreat because they are two very different creatures with very different circumstances and very different characters. I might have emotionally been connected with Will and Lake slightly more than Sky and Holder, but only just slightly.

As with Slammed and Point of Retreat, Hopeless has plot twists and such that can't be spoiled for the potential reader. Some of these twists are a bit more visible in their revelation for me in Hopeless than in Slammed or Point of Retreat. But I won't spoil them. I can't. As I experienced with The Sea of Tranquility (my review), even when I was pretty certain I knew what happened, I still wasn't sure. I still had questions. Colleen Hoover did a wonderful job of keeping me feeling like the earth was constantly tilting from one side to the other.

All is not as it seems. And everything has it's reason.

Beautifully written and fast paced, I couldn't put Hopeless down. I stayed up until 2:45 am one morning reading in the bed because I just couldn't stop. Well... until I hit this one section and I emotionally needed a break (and sleep). At which point I slept for a few hours, then woke up and laid in the bed until I finished.

Hopeless did not disappoint. Everything you've come to expect from Colleen Hoover's writing was here and more. I'm giving Hopeless 4.9 Stars. Have you read Hopeless? If not, please do, but read The Sea of Tranquility by Katja Millay first (that's not a must, just my personal recommendation). If so, what did you think? Let me know!

P.S. After you've read Hopeless, read the "the best fist kiss" from Holder's POV that she posted on her website. HHHHHHOOOOOOTTTTT!!!!!!!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Sweet..i grabbed this and cannot wait, I am totally loving this new adult genre. Awesome review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this book and can't wait to dig into more of Colleen Hoovers work. Thanks for the heads up about Holder's POV on Colleen's site. Fantastic review.

    ReplyDelete