Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Top 10 Most Frustrating Characters

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Most Frustrating Characters.

Another topic I can't narrow down to 10 only. Let's get something straight first, the topic is most FRUSTRATING characters, not Top 10 Characters I Hate. Some of these characters I actually like, but that doesn't mean they're not frustrating. Also, it needs to be said that I'm not very sympathetic towards these characters (they are fiction after all). Here goes...

1) Wendy from the Trylle trilogy by Amanda Hocking - Wendy's all heroic and willing to sacrifice herself despite the fact that it only puts herself and her friends in danger. Plus I got really sick of her fawning all over Finn who was giving her NOTHING! Ugh!

2) Lena from the Caster Chronicles by Margaret Stohl and Kami Garcia - Look dude, I know your uncle died and he was pretty much like you're dad and all, but seriously. MAJOR EMO! And super annoying.

3) Gale from The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins - I don't do guilt trips very well. Anyone trying to guilt me into do anything is going to get ZERO response from me. Gale worked a major guilt trip on Katniss and I for one was frankly annoyed by the whole thing. Moving on...

4) Simon from the first three Mortal Instruments by Cassandra Clare and for the same reason Oliver from Blue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz - Again with the guilt trips. I guess I could have lumped these guys in with Gale. All three of them were in love with their best friends and basically tried to guilt their best friends into being in a relationship with them. That's a no go for me. Simon has moved on in the later MI books, and for that I am hugely grateful and actually really like his current storyline.

5) Jem from the Infernal Devices by Cassandra Clare - Great guy. I actually really like Jem. But he's totally messing up my Will and Tessa fantasies. Basically though a great guy, he is dying after all and though this might sound heartless, he's just basically in the way.

6) Nora from Crescendo by Becca Fitzpatrick - Nora went through one of the whiniest phases ever in Crescendo. I was glad to see that she was mostly recovered from this in Silence, but had she not, I wouldn't have been able to take much more.

7) Sansa from A Game of Thrones by George R R Martin- Sansa bless her. I like her character more where I am now in the story (beginning of book 4, A Feast for Crows), but in book 1, A Game of Thrones, her ignorance was hard to handle. She dreams of a world that doesn't truly exists. She's learned and grown past most of that ignorance and innocence, but not fully.

8) Zara from the Need series by Carrie Jones - Um...seriously don't get me started. Zara is SO annoying to me. I had high hopes for book 1, and book 2 wasn't awful, book 3 I pretty much hated--everything about it annoyed me.

9) Aislinn from the Wicked Lovely series by Melissa Marr - As stupid as this may be, her first strike is that I'm not 100% sure how to pronounce her name. So yeah. Frustrating. Plus though I really liked Seth in Wicked Lovely, I'm just kind of tired of it all by Fragile Eternity. Have Radiant Shadows in my possession, but haven't brought myself to read it yet.

10) Jared from The Host by Stephenie Meyer - RUDE. Dude didn't even try to understand what was going on. Granted, I'm thankful that he didn't just fall for Wanderer because she was in Melanie's body, but how about make an effort?

11) Lydia from Pride and Prejudice and Isabel from Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen for the same reasons - Both of these characters almost come off as purposefully daft. Only interested in two things (silliness and themselves) these characters were difficult for me to read they are so frustrating.

12) Adam from The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater - Um yeah, so you're poor and your friends aren't. Really? This is a big deal why? Your friends obviously don't care. Pride is not always an attractive quality when it keeps you from bettering yourself. Plus I don't like the idea of Adam and Blue being together. I guess I'm Team Gansey, and again that means Adam is in the way.

13) Minnie from Ten by Gretchen McNeil - Oh boy. I do not handle needy people well. Yeah so Minnie has bipolar disorder, doesn't make her any more likable or any less frustrating. IJS.

Some of these characters frustrated me in a single book, and some frustrated me throughout an entire series. What are your top 10 most frustrating characters? Let me know!

12 comments:

  1. I totally agree on the guilt trips thing. But I think the reason why I didn't like Simon in the first three books is because he came off as more useless than anything. Even with the whole Daylighter thing, I never really felt his presence. As for Jem, yeah, I have no ill feelings towards him by HE MUST NOT SINK MY SHIP. NO. =)))

    Love your list, Sandy :D Great TTT

    Gellie @ A Discombobulated Balladry

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the Wicked Lovely series odd. I liked the first book, but after that, I found each character in the series unbearably irritating. I gave up after Fragile Eternity, even though I love the way Melissa Marr writes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How could I forget about Wendy?! She ruined the entire story for me! Great list :)

    My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great list, I agree with most of it. And I never really understood why I hated Gale, but you discribed it.
    Old follower
    my TTT
    http://kimberlysnovelnotes.blogspot.com/2013/01/top-ten-tuesday-7.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found Sansa really frustrating at first, but then grew to actually kinda like her. And her parts are now very interesting bits of the books for me. Great list, a few here I haven't read. :-)

    Here's my Top Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hahaha our lists look very similar again! And though Jem doesn't annoy me as a character, it does annoy me that he gets in the way of Tessa and Will too! Andd GAAAAAH MINNIE!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Minnie and her paranoia got under my skin. Nice list :)

    Here is my TTT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I almost put Gale. I don't care for him AT ALL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good for you. It is okay not to like all book characters, especially irritating ones like these.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey there! I loathed Minne in Ten, so I am glad to hear you didn't like her as well. At the end I just kept thinking, ok, now what is she going to do to make things even worse?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the 'Wicked Lovely' series but I will admit it confuses the crap outta me... I think I'll have to re-read it and see if I can make sense out of it. I have read 'Pride and Prejudice' but I prefer the movie so I can't believe I forgot about Lydia!! You just want to punch her and tell her to come back down to the real world. ARGH.

    ReplyDelete