Monday, January 28, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars - Review

The Fault in Our Stars

By: John Green

Published: January 10th 2012 by Dutton Books

313 pages

Source: Personal Library

Reading Challenge: 2013 Wish List Challenge

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--Diagnosed with Stage IV thyroid cancer at 13, Hazel was prepared to die until, at 14, a medical miracle shrunk the tumours in her lungs... for now.

Two years post-miracle, sixteen-year-old Hazel is post-everything else, too; post-high school, post-friends and post-normalcy. And even though she could live for a long time (whatever that means), Hazel lives tethered to an oxygen tank, the tumours tenuously kept at bay with a constant chemical assault.

Enter Augustus Waters. A match made at cancer kid support group, Augustus is gorgeous, in remission, and shockingly to her, interested in Hazel. Being with Augustus is both an unexpected destination and a long-needed journey, pushing Hazel to re-examine how sickness and health, life and death, will define her and the legacy that everyone leaves behind.

I didn't put off reading The Fault in Our Stars for any particular reason. Truth be told, I waited to read this one mostly because I was low on fundage to spend on buying books. Despite everyone else's ravings about The Fault in Our Stars, I just put off buying it until my mom gave me a gift card for Christmas. And thus it was purchased and thus it was read.

I now firmly agree with the raving John Green fans out there that this man is perhaps brilliant. And The Fault in Our Stars is definitely brilliant. I was hooked on the story and Hazel, the main character, no later than page 10 and laughing out loud no later than page 19. And of course squalling like a baby before the end.

John Green takes you on a magnificent and emotional journey. There are many of witty lines that would have won me over alone, but add to it the nature and content of the story and I was pretty much blown away.

I will say that emotionally I had to put the book down for a bit. Some friends we know through church lost their seven week old son tragically and I just couldn't read a "cancer book" while also thinking about what they must be going through.

All in all The Fault in Our Stars must be read. There were multiple quotes that I actually noted and want to share with you, but they are all spoilery in nature, so yeah, sorry. You'll just have to read it for yourself. And that you very much must do.

The Fault in Our Stars gets 5 very well-deserved stars from me. Have you read The Fault in Our Stars? What did you think? Let me know!

7 comments:

  1. Gosh I love this book. I love that it's so popular because I really think its a book everyone should read. So happy you finally got the chance to read it and loved it too :). Awesome review!

    Jasmine

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great review, thank you.
    I've read so many reviews of this book... I really just need to buy a copy I think. I feel like I'm missing out having not read any of John Green's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear nothing but good things about this book. It sounds intense and emotional and I can't wait to get it in my hands :)

    Mel@thedailyprophecy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you finally got to read this! It is just all sorts of good! Glad you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read this a few months ago and loved it. This book made me laugh and cry at the same time. I agree, a lot of the quotes are spoilery, it was hard to pick out a few that aren't. Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sandy I am ashamed to say I have never read a Green book and I am not even sure why, maybe because I have never been interested in YA contemps..idk. This sounds wonderful though, I need to rethink this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was my first novel by John Green. Oh, but far from my last. This book had me so engrossed in the characters I felt as if I should be calling Hazel to talk to her. Loved this book.

    I entered the Lunar Love Giveaway Hop.

    ReplyDelete