Thursday, April 18, 2013

Scarlet - Review

Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, # 2)

By: Marissa Meyer

Published: February 5th 2013 by Feiwel and Friends

452 pages

Source: Personal Library

Genre: YA, Fantasy, Fairy Tales

( Goodreads | Amazon | The Book Depository )

Goodreads description--The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

When I wrote my review of Cinder, I commented that I was disappointed that we were switching from a Cinder and Kai focused to Scarlet and Wolf. But I must say that the people who commented on my Cinder review telling me that all would be okay were absolutely correct. It's possible that I might like Scarlet and Wolf's story even more than Cinder and Kai's! WHAT!!!!! It's true.

As with Cinder, being familiar with the fairy tale Little Red Riding Hood, which is what Scarlet is based off of, I was full of anticipation to see how Marissa Meyer would bring in the different aspects of the story and how everything would play out. Not only was I impressed with Scarlet and Wolf's story, but the way that Marissa Meyer incorporated this fairy-tale retelling in with Cinder's existing story line was nothing less than brilliant.

I feel like I can't say much else because I don't want there to be any spoilers. Just know that I really enjoyed this book. The same reasons why I really liked Cinder were carried on and improved upon with Scarlet. And I even liked the new characters in Scarlet just as well. I can't wait to see what happens in the next book, Cress with the incorporation of Rapunzel.

I'm giving Scarlet 4 Stars. Have you read Scarlet? What did you think? Let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it! I gave it four stars also! Though I think I'm still a fan of Cinder and Kai a little more haha. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this one oh so much! I was hesitant to even start this series, mostly because cyborgs? No. But so glad I did! I was a little disappointed that we wouldn't get to see much of Cinder in the second book, so imagine my excitement when we DID get to see her! I especially liked Thorne, who I hear plays a big role in the next book!

    ReplyDelete