Saturday, June 3, 2017

Problems Only We Know # 6 - Memory

I'm starting a new feature called Problems Only We Know. This is feature is meant to be funny--sarcastic at times-- that highlights on a few topics here and there that can be annoying or small inconveniences that only readers/bloggers will understand.

Let's talk memory.

Have you guys ever thought about the sheer amount of knowledge we book bloggers have to remember? Release dates. Which books are for review and which are for pleasure? Where did you get the book? NetGalley? Edelweiss? The author/publisher directly? Or wait...do you actually own this one?

Beyond that, I remember that the Bloodlines series by Richelle Mead has 6 books, but Harry Potter has 8. (But wait...not 8 really. Only 7. There are just 8 movies! AH!!! SEE!) The Vampire Academy series hooks you for good with book 3, Shadow Kiss. I remember that I have one book left in Richelle Mead's Age of X series (that I'm not sure if they're even going to end up publishing), but I've only read 1 book of her Dark Swan series. And this is just Richelle Mead. One author.

I remember that Stephenie Meyer spells her name with an E instead of an A. And Kimberly Griffiths Little spells her name with an EY and an S, and Sarah J Maas spells hers with an H and two As. Speaking of Sarah J Maas, Calaena Sardothian is not Caleana even though I say it that way in my head. And Damrik is how I pronounce Darmik the entire time I was reading The Key by Jennifer Anne Davis.

I remember that I have read two different books titled Push. (Authored by Chalene Johnson and Claire Wallis).

I remember that I have 113 books in my possession that I still need to read, but sometimes I feel like I have nothing at all to read.

This is to say nothing of the book covers galore that bombard my memory.

I don't just remember my favorite authors, but I also remember authors that I haven't enjoyed as much so that I don't end up sucked into their books because of the pretty covers. I'm not opposed to having my opinion about an author changed, but if I've read more than one book by an author that I haven't enjoyed I need to remember that.

I have to remember to recommend that new readers read The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices series together and in order of publication date in order to spot small crossovers.

And I have to keep up with the series enders that I've not read yet...or really which books in any series that I haven't read yet.

And seriously you guys...this is only the tip of the iceberg.

Seriously, my brain hurts just trying to think about the massive amount of knowledge that I need to remember.

And boy...don't even ask me what the name of the heroine of the book I JUST finished reading is.

Have you guys ever stopped to think about it? About the memory that being a book blogger requires? Do you guys deal with this problem? Let me know!

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, I have the WORST memory. I have to write everything down. Like, if I have an idea for a blog post while I'm at work, I have to jot it down in a notebook or I'll forget it by the end of the day. I have to write my reviews write away, and I use post-its to mark important places on books so I can refer back to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think about this all the time! I was actually just reflecting on how I always have to write a book review 10 minutes after I finish reading the book or I'll forget every detail that makes a book review well-written and helpful to read. I think it's a really good brain exercise, though, being a book blogger or a bookworm in general. Really develops your memory! Great topic, Sandy!

    Laura @BlueEyeBooks

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have an excellent memory. But pregnancy brain is real and it didn't really go back to normal after I had my daughter and of course now it's back again. I'm with you though, I have to take notes like crazy to keep up with all of the things blog related that I need to remember. I definitely can't wait too many days after finishing a book before writing my review. I have an unofficial 48 hour rule for that. Thanks for stopping by Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! I have a 2 day rule for writing reviews and I can't allow myself to start any new books until I review the previous one or I'll get them mixed up. You're right though. Being a bookworm and a blogger is definitely an exercise for the brain all around. Thanks for stopping by Laura!

    ReplyDelete