Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Top Ten Book Dads

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Fathers in Books.

You guys, if I thought this subject was difficult and sad with Mother's it is even worse with fathers. They seem to be either dead, not present, completely disconnected, or an outright villain in the majority of books that I've read. And that's not just sad, it is really unacceptable. I realize that our family units have taken a big hit over the years, and it isn't unusual for a father to not be present, but this is just awful. We need some good parents in our YA books!

  1. Bailey's Dad & Fern's Dad from Making Faces by Amy Harmon - Bailey's dad is a wrestling coach for the school and has been Bailey's biggest supporter. Fern's dad is a preacher and is there for her as well as many others in the community.
  2. Samuel from The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep - Samuel has a two year old daughter. His wife was killed in a fire. And it is clear that Samuel adores his daughter.
  3. Kiara's Dad from Rules of Attraction by Simone Elkeles - Kiara's dad takes in a troubled teen that needs his help. He even has Carlos's back in a very dangerous situation.
  4. Brimstone from Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor - Although Brimstone isn't Karou's physical father, he's been a father to her in all the ways that count.
  5. Mr. Garrett from My Life Next Door by Huntley Fitzpatrick - This man is all about doing everything he can for his family.
  6. Lara Jean's Dad from To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han - Lara Jean's dad has been doing the single parent thing for his three girls. He's a doctor (if I remember correctly). And he's really been there for his girls.
  7. Charlie's Dad from On the Fence by Kasie West - Another single dad with a lot of kids.
  8. Abe from Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead - Okay so Abe isn't what I'd typically look for in a "good dad" but he stepped it up for Rose there toward the end, and was always really there when she needed him. Plus he was hilarious.
  9. Charlie from Twilight by Stephenie Meyer - Okay guys, this is debatable. Charlie was quite a bit oblivious when it comes to what was going on with Bella, but at least he was present, and he did care. That gives him significant advantage over 90% of the other dad's in the books I've read.

And that's seriously all I've got! If you guys know of some other great fathers in books, please let me know!

8 comments:

  1. I think Charlie was a good dad - he was so protective of Bella and that was sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to see Brimstone made your list!

    Lauren @ Always Me

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only one I am familiar with is Charlie and it would be great to have a dad like him.

    sherry @ fundinmental

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Rules of Attraction is a good choice! The dad in one of her other books, Wild Crush is awful! :) This is a good list. I agree about Bella's dad. At least he cared.
    My
    TTT

    Leslie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad that readers seem to like Charlie more than I feared. :) Thanks for commenting Angela!

    ReplyDelete
  6. :) He was such a good character. Thanks for stopping by Lauren!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aw that's a great compliment. :) I'm glad that others seem to like him more than I thought they did. Thanks for stopping by Sherry!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't read Wild Crush yet. I hope to though. Thanks for stopping by Leslie!!

    ReplyDelete