Thursday, March 14, 2013

The Guardian - Review

The Guardian

By: Nicholas Sparks

Published: April 1st 2005 by Grand Central Publishing (first published April 1st 2003)

400 pages

Source: Borrowed from my sister

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--Julie Barenson's young husband left her two unexpected gifts before he died: a Great Dane puppy named Singer and the promise that he would always be watching over her. Now, four years have passed. Still living in the small town of Swansboro, North Carolina, 29-year-old Julie is emotionally ready to make a commitment to someone again. But who? Should it be Richard Franklin, the handsome, sophisticated engineer who treats her like a queen? Or Mike Harris, the down-to-earth nice guy who was her husband's best friend? Choosing one of them should bring her more happiness than she's had in years. Instead, Julie is soon fighting for her life in a nightmare spawned by a chilling deception and jealousy so poisonous that it has become a murderous desire....

I haven't read many Nicholas Sparks books. Actually, I THINK I've only "read" two including this one. The other being The Lucky One. And both I've actually listened to the audiobooks, but I do love the movies based on his books. It's no surprise that this man is a gifted storyteller.

That being said, Nicholas Sparks has developed a reputation for killing off at least one character in every book. And while death is most certainly a part of life and it's all around us, it lends to his predictability. Every Nicholas Sparks book or movie I begin immediately attempting to discover who's going to end up dead. He didn't disappoint in killing of a character or in his predictability.

I did enjoy The Guardian, but I don't think one thing caught me by surprise. I'd email my sister, who I borrowed the audiobook from, and say "X is a creeper isn't he?" or "X is going to die, right?" She can attest. I do believe every single guess I had was correct.

But the story was well-developed. The characters had a backstory and history. I can see this coming to the big screen and being a hit as Mr. Sparks other books have been.

All in all, I found The Guardian to be predictable but a solid read worthy of a middle of the road rating of 3 stars. Have you read The Guardian? If so, what did you think? Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I read The Guardian a while ago now, a year or two. It was my first, and only thus far, Nicholas Sparks book. I have yet to read any more as, like you, I felt it to be a bit predictable. I knew what was going to happen... I like a twist or some surprise within a book. I rated this book, on Goodreads, as a 3.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review. I have read a few of Sparks books and enjoyed them. So funny about your sister!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read a few of Sparks books and enjoyed them, but I haven't read this one. I will have to get this story and read it since it sounded really interesting. Thanks for sharing this review with us.
    I have entered the Spring Cleaning Giveaway.

    ReplyDelete