Thursday, August 2, 2012

Prince of Wolves - Guest Review

So turns out I did get my friend Paula to agree to do a guest post for me. She's one my real-life reading buddies. We work together and as soon as I'm done with a book she's one of the next people in line to read it, and I'm definitely the next in line to read any books that she's finished. She's such a great friend, she's even let me take her actual kindle for a week or two to read a couple of books that weren't loanable--there's always a work around. So without further ramblings. Here's Paula with a guest review of Prince of Wolves...

Prince of Wolves (The Grey Wolves # 1)

By: Quinn Loftis

Published: June 29th 2011

216 pages

Source: Got for free on my Kindle, Personal Library

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description-- Jaque Pierce was just an ordinary 17 year old girl getting ready to start her senior year in high school in Coldspring, Texas. When a mysterious foreign exchange student from Romania moves in across the street, Jacque and her two best friends, Sally and Jen, don't realize the last two weeks of their summer was going to get a lot more interesting. From the moment Jacque sets eyes on Fane she feels an instant connection, a pull like a moth to a flame. Little does she know that the flame she is drawn to is actually a Canis lupis, werewolf, and she just happens to be his mate; the other half of his soul. The problem is Fane is not the only wolf in Coldspring, Texas. Just as Fane and Jacque are getting to know each other, another wolf steps out to try and claim Jacque as his mate. Fane will now have to fight for the right to complete the mating bond, something that is his right by birth but is being denied him by a crazed Alpha. Will the love Fane has for Jacque be enough to give him the strength to defeat his enemy, will Jacque accept that she is Fane's mate and complete the bond between them?

I received one of Sandy’s "In My Mailbox" posts, and this particular book caught my eye. After reading the description and seeing that it was available for Kindle, I hopped over to Amazon to discover that it was still available on the free list (too good to pass up, especially since I had nothing to lose). Although I didn’t recognize the author’s name, I was drawn to the werewolf theme (I normally like anything supernatural) and dived right in.

The book grabs you immediately by pairing Jacquelyn (small town Texas girl, and the heroine) and Fane (her werewolf mate from Romania, although he’s realized it but she hasn’t) together. The book is fast paced, and in a matter of days, Jacque realizes that she and Fane are meant to be (just as he says). However, there are characters who pop in to tear Jacque and Fane apart . True love prevails, but at what cost?

I absolutely loved the idea behind this book, and its originality. However, I felt that although the idea was great, it was poorly executed. There were a good bit of grammatical and spelling errors, and just too many “yeah right” moments for me. Also, Jacque and her best friends, Jen and Sally, spewed enough Southern slang to grate on the most patient person’s nerves.

For those reasons, I give it three stars. But, that doesn’t mean that I didn’t LOVE this series. The author’s cliffhangers leave you begging for more, and I’ve wanted so much more that I’m ready to begin the fourth book in the series (the author’s writing and plot detail have very much improved by this point). And by now, I’m in love with the characters in this book.

Check out The Grey Wolves Series, you won’t be sorry!

Thanks Paula for supporting my blog and doing this guest review for me.

Have any of you read Prince of Wolves? What did you think? Let me know!

3 comments:

  1. I too got this one when I saw it was free on Kindle through Amazon. I have heard from other book bloggers as well as reviews on books (and have noticed myself) that Kindle books (or ebooks in general) have a reputation for having grammatical and spelling errors that the hardback/paperbacks don't have. I find it annoying but at the same time, not enough to put me off from getting a free ebook.....shoot, who am I kidding, not even a $10 ebook. Ha! Haven't read this one yet as it's in a LONG line of waiting books, but it's on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks again to you, Sandy, for the opportunity to guest review! I'm reading the fourth book in this series and can't wait to share it with you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula..what happen to you when you read her mailbox post is exactly what happens to me..thus my huge TBR pile. Despite the writing flaws this does sound like a great book and hopefully the author will improve those areas. I love a good shape-shifter tale!

    ReplyDelete