Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Waiting on Casual Vacancy

"Waiting On" Wednesday is a weekly event, hosted by Breaking the Spine, that spotlights upcoming releases that we're eagerly anticipating.

This week I'm featuring a book I'm actually a little nervous about. How can anything live up to the magic that was Harry Potter? Even from the same author. But because JK Rowling was brilliant with writing HP, I'm totally willing to give this a shot, even if it doesn't sound like something I might would read under other circumstances--yet neither was Harry Potter.

The Casual Vacancy

By: JK Rowling

Expected Publication: September 27th 2012 by Little, Brown and Company

480 pages

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--When Barry Fairweather dies in his early forties, the town of Pagford is left in shock.

Pagford is, seemingly, an English idyll, with a cobbled market square and an ancient abbey, but what lies behind the pretty façade is a town at war.

Rich at war with poor, teenagers at war with their parents, wives at war with their husbands, teachers at war with their pupils…Pagford is not what it first seems.

And the empty seat left by Barry on the parish council soon becomes the catalyst for the biggest war the town has yet seen. Who will triumph in an election fraught with passion, duplicity and unexpected revelations?

The Casual Vacancy is J.K. Rowling’s first novel for adults.

What are you guys waiting on? Let me know!

9 comments:

  1. Thank you for stopping by my blog. I too have the Casual Vacancy on my waiting for list.

    Hope it is as good as it sounds.

    --Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so nervous for this book too. I won't even try to compare it to HP, because it's nothing like it, but I know it will be in the back of my mind.
    I am definitely going to be reading it though.

    New GFC follower. :]

    Here's My WoW!

    -Kait @ YA Vixens

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for the follow and for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  3. I'm really excited for this one as well! J.K. Rowling is amazing, so I know I'll love this book. :) Thanks for sharing Sandy!

    Krystianna @ Downright Dystopian

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll blow me away with this one too. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. I am so nervous for this book too. I want to read it though. I guess I shouldn't compare it to Harry Potter, but it might be inevitable. I wish I could read it without knowing the author so I wouldn't think to compare. Great pick!

    - Courtney @Courtney Reads A Lot

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I know what you mean. It's almost like watching a movie based off a book. You know it's not going to be as good as the movie, and if you accept that up front, then I find it easier to enjoy the movie for what it is. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete
  5. I'm nervous about this one too. It's going to be so difficult to go into reading it without any expectations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

      Delete