Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Bookish Confessions.
1) I must read every page in a book before I feel complete and like I truly “finished’ it. Acknowledgements, thanks, dedication, appendices, chapters included for other books. With the exception of the copyright page because that’s just boring.
2) I must read all books in a series. My OCDness doesn’t come to the surface in every aspect of my life. But I can’t stand to have a series unfinished. I have gotten a smidgen more relaxed about this with the increase in volume of books I’m reading. I’m finding that I can’t waste my time finishing a series that’s only mediocre or less than that even when there are so many other brilliant books out there. But I struggle with this FREQUENTLY.
3) I NEVER dog ear pages.
4) I read multiple books at a time. At the moment I have 10 books going at one time: 48 Days to the Work You Love, The Power of a Praying Church, The Power of Prayer to Change Your Marriage, Jane Eyre, Wuthering Heights, A Feast for Crows, Destined, One Thousand Gifts, Fate (My Blood Approves, # 2) and Dante's Girl.
5) I (shouldn’t everyone feel the same way about this?) want the same format for every book I own of a particular series. If I get the first book on my kindle, I want them all on my kindle. If the first book is hardback, I want them all in hardback. The only exception is if I get the first book as paperback, I’m okay if the rest of them are hardback—just so long as they are physical copies. And if I get one book as an audiobook, I need the entire series in audiobook as well, even if I already have the entire series in print.
6) I never read ahead in a book or skip to read the end…except for that one time.
7) I like not having any expectations and not knowing much about a book before I begin. I’ve found that my expectations can sometimes sway my opinion.
8) I hate slang & accented/dialect dialogue. See my rant about that in my review of Infinity. Mostly this type of writing just makes me feel like I’m getting stupider the more I read it (I know that’s not really possible…but you get the point).
9) I definitely judge a book by its cover, and have been pleasantly surprised more times than let down.
10) I think I read really slowly, but I definitely don’t skim or speed read. I want to make sure I don’t miss anything.
11) And bonus: I like to be the first in my group to read a book. But every now and then it’s nice to get recommendations from people I trust and not have to wonder whether I’m going to like it or not.
And that ladies and gentlemen (are there any gentlemen reading this? Just curious.) is my Top 10 Bookish Confessions. What are yours? Let me know!