Tuesday, May 16, 2017

Top Ten Book Moms

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Book Moms.

We talk all the time about non-existent parents in YA, but you guys, I didn't realize how bad this was for real until I was scrolling through my read books looking for stand-out book moms. Every book I passed was like: dead, not present, horrible mother, not necessarily a horrible mother but not a good mother, and mentioned but not stand-out. It was truly sad. This exercise did give me a future Top Ten Tuesday post idea. But of the books I've read, here are the stand-out moms.

  1. Audrey from Bright Side by Kim Holden - Audrey is Gus's mom as well as acting mom for Kate. Audrey has gone above and beyond for Kate. Though not her biological mother, Audrey shows what it really means to choose your family.
  2. Fern & Bailey's mothers from Making Faces by Amy Harmon - Both of these moms were present and active in their children's lives. Each gave good advice when needed.
  3. Eleanor from The Captive Heart by Michelle Griep - Again, not a biological mother, but she took on the responsibility of taking care of Samuel's young daughter without hesitation. Eventually she became a true mother to her.
  4. Darrow's mother from the Red Rising trilogy by Pierce Brown - Even though she didn't have a huge role throughout the series, the fact that she recognized Darrow despite his transformation warmed my heart so. She was exactly what he needed her to be.
  5. Jess from One Plus One by Jojo Moyes - Truthfully I don't remember a ton about this book because I read it 3 years ago, but I remember Jess trying so terribly hard to do what's best for her kids.
  6. Layken's mom from Slammed by Colleen Hoover - Layken's mom was also really present in her kids' lives. She was motherly and actually worked to lead her children into becoming adults. She knew that she didn't have a lot of time to do this, and so she even prepared a way to be there for Layken after she was gone as well.
  7. Mrs. Weasley from Harry Potter - Managing the chaos of the Weasley household is enough to earn her a reward. But she also took on Harry as much as she could. Plus that scene with her against Bellatrix was epic!
  8. Lark's mother in The Bird and the Sword by Amy Harmon - Her sacrifice for her daughter is what a mother's love is really about.
  9. Nate's mother from The Captain's Daughter by Jennifer Delamere - She's all about helping others out. She does charity work with the church as well as taking in multiple people into her own home. Plus seeing how she loved and worried about her own children was clear.
  10. Georgia's mother from The Law of Moses by Amy Harmon - While not a perfect mother (who is?) Georgia's mother was really there for Georgia through the most difficult days of her life. And there were many difficult days.

(Any books not linked have reviews coming soon.) Who are your top ten book moms? Let me know!

6 comments:

  1. I'm sooooo happy someone else picked Jess from One Plus One!! I fell in love with that book last week and reviewed it on Monday!

    Lisa @ https://hopewellslibraryoflife.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/top-10-tuesdays-favorite-fictional-mothers/

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have such a great list with some I forgot about like Audrey from Bright Sde and Jess from One Plus One. Lovely picks :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen Molly Weasley on basically everyone's list so far this week, with good reason!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2017/05/16/top-ten-tuesday-107/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I figured that she would make a lot of lists. :) Thanks for stopping by Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yay! I'm glad that someone who has read it recently agrees. Sometimes when it has been a while since I've read a book I don't always trust my memory. :) Thanks for stopping by Lisa!

    ReplyDelete