Saturday, July 7, 2012

Hourglass - Review

Hourglass

By: Myra McEntire

Published: June 14th 2011 by Egmont USA

387 pages

Source: Personal Kindle Library

( Goodreads | Amazon )

Goodreads description--One hour to rewrite the past . . .

For seventeen-year-old Emerson Cole, life is about seeing what isn't there: swooning Southern Belles; soldiers long forgotten; a haunting jazz trio that vanishes in an instant. Plagued by phantoms since her parents' death, she just wants the apparitions to stop so she can be normal. She's tried everything, but the visions keep coming back. So when her well-meaning brother brings in a consultant from a secretive organization called the Hourglass, Emerson's willing to try one last cure. But meeting Michael Weaver may not only change her future, it may change her past.

Who is this dark, mysterious, sympathetic guy, barely older than Emerson herself, who seems to believe every crazy word she says? Why does an electric charge seem to run through the room whenever he's around? And why is he so insistent that he needs her help to prevent a death that never should have happened?

Hourglass was good. But I wasn't blown away. So Hourglass gets 3 Stars from me.

I definitely wanted to keep reading once I got into it. It did have a "soul-mate principle" (as I call it), with Emerson and Michael being "two halves of a whole". But it was almost hard to understand why. So Emerson can travel to the past, and Michael can travel to the future, but I guess I just have a hard time understanding why that's the basis for a relationship. I guess overall Emerson just got on my nerves, and I didn't see what was so special about Michael or Emerson.

I don't know. I feel like this review is coming off more negatively than I intend it to be. I didn't hate it by any means, I just didn't love it either. I read it quickly, and I already have Timepiece (book 2). I'll probably go ahead and read that next. And I'm honestly looking forward to reading it, but some of that is hopes that book 2 will be better than book 1. We shall see.

(Side note: It was kind of weird to go from Pushing the Limits where the main girl's name is Echo Emerson to a different book where the main character's name is Emerson. I was slightly confused at first.)

That's about all I have for Hourglass. 3 Stars. Have you guys read it? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment