Thursday, January 4, 2024

2023 EOY Wrap Up

At the end of every year and the beginning of the next, I go into contemplative mode. I think about the past year. What happened? What changed in my life? What were the big things that I accomplished? What did I spend my time doing or thinking about? And then I think about the upcoming one as well. What do I want to see happen? What do I want to change in my life? What big things do I want to accomplish? What do I want to spend my time doing and thinking about? What things about last year do I really want to see change in the upcoming one?

2023 was a fast year. The kids played basketball for the first time which was a good experience. In February, we took a family trip to my sister's house in Gulf Shores. Then we moved into baseball/softball season which keeps us very busy. This was the first year that Little Boy went on the annual mountains trip with my parents. They had a good time, and while they were gone we started potty training with Baby Boy. By summer we were swimming often (although not every day like previous years). My sister, sister-in-law, and I went to a women's conference in June. And then come August, we started our first year homeschooling with Little Girl for 2nd grade and Little Boy for kindergarten. At this point, Little Girl is more than halfway through her curriculum and Little Boy has already moved into 1st grade math and is 10 lessons away from 1st grade language arts. Baby Boy also started Mother's Day out 3 days a week for half a day. He's enjoying that. We've gone on something like 6 field trips already. We're going to the library every other week. And we've had many play dates. In October we took a family trip to Great Wolf Lodge for the bigger kids birthdays. Then, of course, we entered the holiday season and before I knew it the year was over. It has been one of the busiest, but most rewarding years I think we've ever had. Husband is still working from home which is beneficial, but also challenging for him with all of the noise of us being home regularly with homeschool.

I finally incorporated more audiobooks into my "reading." I found that I was able to listen while doing housechores afterall. This helped me boost my overall books read for the year. And that helped me get ahead enough to look at doing almost two book reviews a week. I was able to schedule two, almost three, months ahead. But I also started getting too lax on writing book reviews. I am a whopping 6 books behind on writing reviews. And I can't seem to catch up and stay caught up. In large part, this is due to the limited amount of time I'm actually sitting at a computer. But I've got to find a work around for this. I did create a new blog feature this year where I'm highlighting some children's literature we're reading for homeschool. I'm only writing mini-reviews on these books.

I don't have any plans to make big changes in 2024. Either I'm past new year's resolutions, or this just isn't the season of life for them. I'm mostly focused on homeschooling the kids and whatever I can do to keep my reading and blog going in the process.

EOM Wrap Up Posts for 2023

January
February
March
April
May
June
July
August
September
October
November
December

Blogging Highlights from 2023

  • Holly and I successfully hosted the 2023 Series Enders Reading Challenge. We are returning for 2024 also.
  • I celebrated my 12th Blogoversary.
  • October was my 11th annual All Things Halloween event of Halloween-ish book reviews and such.
  • I didn't review any movies this year.
  • I listened to 18 audiobooks.
  • I re-read 3 books this year.
  • I completed my Goodreads books read challenge with 85 out of 52 books read (including some children's books).
  • I completed my Bible-in-a-year reading plan for the 12th year in a row.
  • I completed my Series Enders goal of 1-4 books with 4 series enders.
  • I started a new feature called Homeschool Friday where I feature children's books that we've been reading in our homeschool.
  • Books Read in 2023

    *These qualify for the 2023 Series Enders Reading Challenge.
    Falling for the Cowgirl (Colorado Cowboys, # 4) by Jody Hedlund
    Charlotte's Web by EB White
    Twisted Twenty-Six (Stephanie Plum, # 26) by Janet Evanonvich
    Georgie, All Along by Kate Clayborn
    Scotland's Melody by Katie Stewart Stone
    The Call of the Sea by Sian Ann Bessey
    Mr. Gardiner and the Governess (Claivoir Castle Romance, # 1) by Sally Britton
    Built to Last by Erin Hahn
    *The Last Chance Cowboy (Colorado Cowboys, # 5) by Jody Hedlund
    A Companion for the Count (Claivoir Castle Romance, # 2) by Sally Britton
    Borrow My Heart (Borrow My Heart, # 1) by Kasie West
    Sacred Marriage by Gary Thomas
    Sir Andrew and the Authoress (Claivoir Castle Romance, # 3) by Sally Britton
    Her Unsuitable Match (Supposed Scandal, # 1) by Sally Britton
    Letters for Phoebe (Promise of Forever After, # 1) by Sally Britton
    The Only Game in Town by Lacie Waldon
    His Unexpected Heiress (Entangled Inheritance, # 2) by Sally Britton
    Lord Farleigh and Miss Frost (Claivoir Castle Romance, # 4) by Sally Britton
    Wyoming Wild (Savage Wells, # 3) by Sarah M Eden
    The Earl's Hideaway, No Ladies Allowed (A Romance of Rank, # 2) by Esther Hatch
    The Unassuming Curator (Georgian Gentlemen, # 5) by Sian Ann Bessey
    Love Unseen by Rachel Kelley Stones
    A Mismatched Mistletoe (A Christmas Match, # 4) by Sally Britton
    An Uncharted Devotion by Amanda Taylor
    Return to Satterthwaite Court (Somerset Stories, # 3) by Mimi Matthews
    A Duchess for the Duke (Claivoir Castle Romance, # 0.5) by Sally Britton
    Matilda by Roald Dahl
    Spice Road (Spice Road Trilogy, # 1) by Maiya Ibrahim
    Voice of the Ancient (The Kings Men, # 1) by Connilyn Cossette
    Tastes Like Shakkar(If Shakespeare Was an Auntie, # 2) by Nisha Sharma
    Play for Me by Libby Hubscher
    *Grace and Glory (The Harbinger, # 3) by Jennifer L Armentrout
    Silver Dollar Duke (Hearts of Arizona, # 1) by Sally Britton (review coming soon)
    *Never Wager with a Wallflower (The Merriwell Sisters, # 3) by Virginia Heath
    An Amiable Foe by Jennie Goutet
    The Shameless Flirt (The Ashbrooks, # 2) by MA Nichols
    His Disinclined Bride (Seasons of Change, # 7) by Jennie Goutet
    An Unwitting Alliance (Matchmaking Mamas, # 2) by Anneka Walker
    A Fall from Grace (Clavering Chronicles, # 1) by Jennie Goutet
    Philippa Holds Court (Clavering Chronicles, # 2) by Jennie Goutet
    Give Me a Sign by Anna Sortino
    *The Sport of Matchmaking (Clavering Chronicles, # 3) by Jennie Goutet (review coming soon)
    The Wishing Well by Natalie Kleinman
    Flame and Ember (The Kingsleys, # 1) by MA Nichols (review coming soon)
    Chaira's Choice by Chalon Linton
    A Bride by Morning (Private Arrangements, # 3) by Katrina Kendrick
    A Lady's Promise by Ranee S Clark
    Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, # 1) by JK Rowling (re-read)
    Homeschool Bravely by Jamie Erickson
    Sleepless in Dubai by Sajni Patel
    Raising Grateful Children in an Entitled World by Kristen Welch (re-read)
    Rocky Mountain Rendezvous (Sisters of the Rockies, # 1) by Misty M Beller
    How Great Is Our God: 100 Indescribable Devotions about God and Science by Louie Giglio
    Of Jasmine and Roses by Jill E Warner
    Fourth Wing (The Empyrean, # 1) by Rebecca Yarros
    A Regrettable Proposal (Memorable Proposals, # 1) by Jennie Goutet (review coming soon)
    West Side Love Story (Queens of Mariachi, # 1) by Priscilla Oliveras (review coming soon)
    Glenn and His Goat Find Grandpa's Gold by Jenny Phillips
    A Faithful Proposal (Memorable Proposals, # 2) by Jennie Goutet (review coming soon)
    Wesley and the Wolves by Jenny Phillips
    A Queen of Thieves and Chaos (Fate & Flame, # 3) by KA Tucker
    A Daring Proposal (Memorable Proposals, # 3) by Jennie Goutet (review coming soon)
    A Yorkshire Carol (A Christmas Match, # 3) by Jennie Goutet (review coming soon)
    For Letter or Worse by Esther Hatch (review coming soon)
    Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (Harry Potter, # 2) by JK Rowling (re-read)
    Pixels and Paint (The Trinkett Sisters, # 1) by Kristi Ann Hunter
    Champion of Fate (Heromaker, # 1) by Kendare Blake
    The BFG by Roald Dahl (review coming soon)
    The Adventures of Captain Underpants (The Adventures of Captain Underpants, # 1) by Dav Pilkey (review coming soon)
    Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (review coming soon)
    The Duke Knows Best (The Duke's Sons, # 5) by Jane Ashford (review coming soon)
    Iron Flame (The Empyrean, # 2) by Rebecca Yarros (review coming soon)
    The Lily of Ludgate Hill (Belles of London, # 3) by Mimi Matthews (review coming soon)
    Someone You Loved by Robin Constantine
    On the Bright Side by Anna Sortino (review coming soon)
    Romancing the Artist (Return to Inglewood, # 1) by Sally Britton (review coming soon)
    Old Flames and New Fortunes by Sarah Hogle (review coming soon)
    Calling on the Matchmaker (A Shanahan Match, # 1) by Jody Hedlund (review coming soon)
    Blood and Steel (The Legends of Thezmarr, # 1) by Helen Scheuerer (review coming soon)
    The Lady He Lost (The Lucky Ladies of London, # 1) by Faye Delacour (review coming soon)

    Books DNF'D


    A Forgotten Fall (A Lord for All Seasons, # 3) by (DNF @ 60%)
    Flirty Little Secret by Jessica Lepe (DNF @ Trigger Warning)

    How was your 2023? Are you exciting about moving on to 2024? Let me know!

    No comments:

    Post a Comment