Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Top 10 Quotes From Books

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is: Top 10 Quotes in Books.

Coming up with my favorite quotes wasn't so hard, but hunting them down wasn't as easy. It needs to be said before you read any further that it's possible these quotes contain spoilers. It can't be helped. It's just that a lot of times those are the best parts of a book. And some of them won't make any sense at all if you haven't read the book, but that's why it's my list and not yours. Without further rambling...my top 10 quotes from books (in no particular order):

1.) Mr. Bennet from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - "Mr. Bennet, how can you abuse your own children ill such a way! You take delight in vexing me. You have no compassion on my poor nerves." "You mistake me, my dear. I have a high respect for your nerves. They are my old friends. I have heard you mention them with consideration these twenty years at least."

2.) Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - "In vain I have struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you."

3.) Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - "If you will thank me," he replied, "let it be for yourself alone. That the wish of giving happiness to you might add force to the other inducements which led me on, I shall not attempt to deny. But your family owe me nothing. Much as I respect them, I believe I thought only of you." Elizabeth was too much embarrassed to say a word. After a short pause, her companion added, "You are too generous to triffle with me. If your feelings are still what they were last April tell me at once. My affections and wishes are unchanged; but one word from you will silence me on this subject forever."

4.) Ned Stark from A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin - "Robb says the man died bravely, but Jon says he was afraid." "What do you think?" his father asked. Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?" "That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.

5.) Tyrion Lannister from A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin - "Never forget what you are, for surely the world will not. Make it your strength. Then it can never be your weakness. Armor yourself in it, and it will never be used to hurt you."

6.) The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran - Love one another, but make not a bond of love; let it rather be a moving sea between the shores of your souls.

7.) Lee Jordan from Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J. K. Rowling - (I couldn't find the exact location in the book where this is quoted, so it might be more of a paraphase. I did google it, but you know how reliable that can be sometimes. Hopefully this is 100% accurate...if not, I apologize.) "He can run faster than Severus Snape confronted with shampoo."

8.) Captain Wentworth from Persuasion by Jane Austen - I can listen no longer in silence. I must speak to you by such means as are within my reach. You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope. Tell me not that I am too late, that such precious feelings are gone for ever. I offer myself to you again with a heart even more your own than when you almost broke it, eight years and a half ago. Dare not say that man forgets sooner than woman, that his love has an earlier death. I have loved none but you. Unjust I may have been, weak and resentful I have been, but never inconstant. You alone have brought me to Bath.

For you alone, I think and plan. Have you not seen this? Can you fail to have understood my wishes? I had not waited even these ten days, could I have read your feelings, as I think you must have penetrated mine. I can hardly write. I am every instant hearing something which overpowers me. You sink your voice, but I can distinguish the tones of that voice when they would be lost on others. Too good, too excellent creature! You do us justice, indeed. You do believe that there is true attachment and constancy among men. Believe it to be most fervent, most undeviating, in

F. W.

I must go, uncertain of my fate; but I shall return hither, or follow your party, as soon as possible. A word, a look, will be enough to decide whether I enter your father’s house this evening or never.

9.) Abe Mazur from Last Sacrifice by Richelle Mead - "Ah, Belikov," said Abe, shaking Dimitri's hand. "I'd been hoping we'd run into each other. I'd really like to get to know you better. Maybe we can set aside some time to talk, learn more about life, love, et cetra. Do you like to hunt? You seem like a hunting man. That's what we should do some time. I know a great spot in the woods. Far, far away. We could make a day of it. I've certainly got a lot of questions I'd like to ask you. A lot of things I'd like to tell you too." --Emily Shaffer reads this section in the audiobook brilliantly.

10.) Jace from City of Fallen Angels by Cassandra Clare - "We came here to train, and we should train. If we spend all the time we're supposed to be training making out instead, they'll quit letting me help train you at all." "Aren't they supposed to be hiring someone else to train me full-time anyway?" "Yes," he said, getting up and pulling her to her feet along with him, "and I'm worried that if you get into the habit of making out with your instructors, you'll wind up making out with him, too." "Don't be sexist. They could fine me a female instructor." "In that case you have my permission to make out with her, as long as I can watch."

What's your favorite book quotes?

1 comment:

  1. You're right....you pretty much nailed it on #7. BTW....still working on my quotes.

    ReplyDelete