Thursday, October 18, 2012

48 Days to the Work You Love - Review

48 Days to the Work You Love

By: Dan Miller

Published: January 1st 2007 by B&H Books (first published July 1996)

224 pages

Source: Personal Library

( Goodreads | Amazon )



Goodreads description--48 Days to the Work You Love is not about finding a new job. It is about finding out what you are going to be.” According to Dan Miller, failing to make that fundamental discovery is why so many people find themselves in jobs they hate. But the great news is this book will lead you to the vocation you will love. Dan Miller will help you see clear patterns form from which you can make successful career and job decisions by understanding your God-given skills and abilities, personality traits, values, dreams, and passions. These patterns create a compass for you. Finding the work you love is finding the fulfillment of your calling.

Ok guys, if you’re not satisfied with your job right now….THIS IS THE BOOK FOR YOU! This book has a wealth of knowledge in it. It took me over a year to actually read it, but the reason for that was two-fold. One of which is, I actually got a new job about halfway through my reading of the book. I had to skip ahead to the interview section which I think REALLY did the trick for me. I haven’t had a lot of experience interviewing and this book gave me the tools I needed to ace my interviews. That along with a lot of prayer for peace of mind and spirit during the process. But I’m living proof that this book has some great information that will help you find a job that you love. Now I’m not 100% sure where I am now is what I’d consider my dream job, but it’s definitely 100% better than where I was—handling customer service phone calls with people yelling at me day in and out over things that I had no control over and things that weren’t my fault. The non-customer service parts of my previous job I loved and I was really good at. Plus the girls I worked with really became a third family for me. But overall, I’m so much more satisfied with where I am now than where I was.

The second reason it took me so long to finish is because I loaned my book out to two other people who needed it more than I did in the moment since I’d already gotten my new job.

For me, this book is worth the information about the interview process and how to create a resume that works best for where you’ve been to where you’re trying to go alone. But all of the additional information is great stuff too. I can see myself referencing back to this book often throughout my life. And I’ll definitely be recommending it to anyone who’s in the process of looking for a new job.

48 Days to the Work You Love gets 4 Stars. Have you read it? What did you think? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment