Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Top Ten Inspirational Characters

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Inspirational Characters.

I try not to get bogged down with the negativity that sometimes flares in the book blogging community. I don't want to weigh in on the negativity, but I do want to put out as much positivity out as possible right now.

  1. Billy from Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls- Billy is one of the most determined characters I've ever read. He not only saves his own money, but he goes on his own journeys alone. He trains Old Dan and Little Ann himself. He tries to cut down that huge tree by himself with a tiny ax because he promised his dogs that if they treed a raccoon then he would do his part. There's much to be learned from Billy.
  2. Anne Frank from The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank- No explanation needed.
  3. Dawn Rochelle from Six Months to Live by Lurlene McDaniel - The first "cancer story" I ever read. Dawn Rochelle goes through so much. Diagnosed with leukemia at thirteen, Dawn start attacking her cancer at a young age and learns the realities of death entirely too soon.
  4. Angel from Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers - Angel is sold into the sex trade at an extremely early age. She has so much to overcome, but well...I don't want to ruin it.
  5. Emma from Reason to Breathe by Rebecca Donovan - Now let me just say that my opinion of Emma goes down significantly over the next two books, but I really can't say enough about the positive attitude she maintains in the face of the challenges she's up against in this book.
  6. Verity/Maddie from Code Name Verity by Elizabeth Wein - Wow...these girls. I was torn on which one deserved to be on this list the most. Verity undergoes torture and self-sacrifice. Maddie searches relentlessly for her best friend and ultimately rescues her even if not by traditional means. I don't think I could have done what either of these girls did.
  7. Augustus Waters from The Fault in Our Stars by John Green - Augustus has one of the most upbeat and positive attitudes of any character I've read. When you consider the circumstances it makes Augustus even more inspirational.
  8. Jane from Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte - Jane stands on her moral values and self-respect despite what her heart wants. In a world where people live for self satisfaction, I cannot admire Jane more for her principles.
  9. Val from V is for Virgin by Kelly Oram - Similiarly to Jane Eyre, Val makes a stand and endures much backlash and ridicule because of it. Despite how easy it would have been to back down, Val perseveres.
  10. Anne Shirley from Anne of Green Gables by LM Montgomery - Anne's an orphan. She's mostly been unwanted her entire life. To think she's finally wanted and to learn that it was all a mistake breaks her heart, but even despite all of the circumstances she comes up against, Anne finds beauty in the simple things in a life.

Who are your most inspirational characters? Let me know!

6 comments:

  1. Cope Name Verity and The Fault In Our Stars are AMAZING! I really hope you get a change to read these soon! EVERYONE needs to read them :)

    Nicole @ The Quiet Concert

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome List!! Augustus had stuck with me along time after reading A Fault in Our Stars!! Check out my Top
    Ten Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great choices! Some of mine are: Anne of Green Gables, definitely. Hiltgunt von Zazenhaus, a young woman in Nazi Germany who surreptitiously helped a number of political prisoners from Scandinavian countries (autobiography, called Walls.) Anne Lamott (Bird by Bird, Help. Thanks. Wow. Not a character but an amazing woman; her books are both autobiography and inspiration.) Karal from Mercedes Lackey's Storm Winds trilogy. Frodo and Sam from The Lord of the Rings. That's just off the top of my head; I'm sure I have a lot more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I already read them both. I did a different top ten topic this week than everyone else did! But thanks for stopping by and commenting Nicole!

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's still sticking with me and I read this one three years ago. Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'll have to check out some of the ones that you mentions Lark. I highly recommend Code Name Verity and The Fault in Our Stars. I hope you get to check them out soon! Thanks for stopping by and commenting! Sorry I'm so late responding!

    ReplyDelete