Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Top Ten Books If I Had A Book Club

Top 10 Tuesday is a post hosted by The Broke and the Bookish and this week's topic is Top Ten Books If I Had a Book Club.

If I had a book club, it would be all about stories that I need to talk about--stories that need to be picked apart and dissected. While this can be necessary for some contemporary books, mostly I see my book club being Fantasy driven.

  1. Harry Potter by JK Rowling - Because come on, can you have a book club without reading Harry Potter?
  2. A Song of Ice and Fire by George R R Martin - Because there's so much that I'm sure that I'm missing and I feel like these are books that MUST be disected.
  3. Red Rising Trilogy by Pierce Brown - While this book had a slow start for me, since finishing it, I can't stop thinking about it. This book needs to be talked about. I can't wait to read more of the series.
  4. His Fair Assassins by Robin LaFevers - Again, these books must be talked about. The symbolism alone demands it.
  5. The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer - I mean this is a retelling of multiple major fairytales all combined into one story. Yes, this would definitely be on my book club list.
  6. Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi - This would make my list for the unique writing style alone. I still haven't finished this series, but I think it would make excellent book club discussions.
  7. Jasper Dent by Barry Lyga - Another book where so much happens that you just need to talk the twists and turns out with someone. Plus this entire series is psychological.
  8. The Remnant Chronicles by Mary E Pearson - Book one had such an interesting method of story telling. This would make for interesting discussion. I'd love to see who all guessed correctly and who all was wrong.
  9. Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - The mix of the lovely writing style and story elements would make for good discussion I think. Another where I still have to finish the last book.
  10. anything Jane Austen - Because again, you can't have a book club without reading Jane Austen.

What books would your book club read? Let me know!

16 comments:

  1. Great list! Can you believe I haven't started the Lunar Chronicles yet? Maybe if I were in a book club that would motivate me to read them! Here's my TTT. Happy reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um no! I cannot believe you haven't started the Lunar Chronicles yet. I think each book has been better than the last with that series. I hope you get to start it soon. Thanks for stopping by Marie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alex @ The Book BannerJanuary 27, 2015 at 9:52 PM

    Oh yes, Harry Potter's got to be on that list. Imagine reading it for the first time again! O.o Shatter Me is on my list to read and maybe it should be on my list to read with my book club. hmmm. Great list! :)

    My TTT
    Alex @ The Book Banner

    ReplyDelete
  4. About half of those I've read. The other half I really want to, LOL. I'd especially love to do Grave Mercy and Game of Thrones in a club. So much detailed discussion! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read or want to read all of these! (Except maybe pride and prejudice) Harry Potter is like a must and I think A Song of Ice and Fire is one of the best discussion books. Have you read Golden Son? I had the worst book hangover ever when I finished it, it was all I could think about! (and I was getting off a plane so that wasn't good) Also I love the Cinder books! I have to get Fairest somehow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some excellent choices on here. I enjoyed Red Rising and Golden Son is getting the most excellent reviews!
    Plus Harry Potter, GRRM and Jane Austen - all keeping good company.
    Lynn :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I see quite a few on this list that are on my TBR list and/or Kindle. I tried a library copy of Shatter Me but just couldn't get into it. I may revisit that one. Red Rising and Grave Mercy are the two that I really want to get to this year. Great top ten!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I agree with all your choices! The Lunar Chronicles and Red Rising and The kiss of deception would be on top of my list!

    Ps. I have a blog as well, if you want to stop by I'd appreciate it so much! It's both in Italian and in English :3 -> http://frannieinthepages.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great picks! Harry Potter and Game of Thrones oh my. Can't wait to read Red Rising either! My TTT (:

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know, right? How can one have a book club and not read Harry Potter? I hope you enjoy Shatter Me when you get a chance to read it. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Alex!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree Liesel! I think Grave Mercy and Game of Thrones have so much material for discussion! Thanks for stopping by and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You don't want to read Pride and Prejudice????? :) I've got Golden Son in my possession..and I need to read it, but I'm kind of recovering from Red Rising. I loved it, but it was emotionally exhausting for me. And I hear Golden Son is even more so. I do want to read it soon though. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Molly!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've got Golden Son, but I'm trying to take a bit of a break before I jump into it. Red Rising was an emotionally exhausting read for me. I loved it, but I just need to recover some before moving forward with the series. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Lynn!

    ReplyDelete
  14. My friend Paula is having a hard time getting into Shatter Me too and we usually agree on books. I think Grave Mercy has every single thing that a YA book could ever want to have included in it. It's great. Red Rising was much better than I expected. It had a slow start to me, but once it got started........... :) Thanks for stopping by and commenting Kathy!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh yay! I love when others feel the same way that I do! Thanks for stopping by and commenting Frannie!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I hope you love Red Rising. It had a bit of a slow start for me, but once I got into it I was hooked. It turned out much better than I expected. Thanks for stopping by and commenting Shan!

    ReplyDelete